The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Several pumpkins ripe already

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Set decoration request via e-mail| Next thread: Sevin »
Back to Thread index
by Back Mountain NEPA on August 29, 2006 06:18 AM
When my granddaughters and I saw how large my pumpkins were getting, we were excited that we'd have some really nice ones for jack o'lanterns. Unfortunately, they suddenly ripened over the course of the past week, and the plant appears to be dying. There are some small ones on it, but I don't think they'll grow into anything. Is there any way I could keep these long enough or do I have to bake pies early? And, what could have caused this to happen. I have other pumpkins on the other side of this walkway, and they show no signs of ripening.
by DeepCreekLake on August 29, 2006 12:10 PM
Exposure to the sun (the pumpkins- not the vines) can cause the skins to harden/ripen. Alot of champion pumpkin growers, place tarps over the growing fruits to slow it down.The tarps are hung over the pumpkins, usally on some sort of support system to shade them. Dont let the tarps touch the pumpkins. Also lack of water- which has been the case for me this year. Sometimes disease such as those carried by cucumber beetle, vine borers, and stink beetle, can cause the vines to wilt.
by Woodland Garden on August 30, 2006 01:35 PM
My pumpkins have always matured rapidly. I have two giants now weighing well over 100lbs mature and pinkish orange in the garden that I planted on June 15. I only started them that early because I wanted to maximize summer sun and heat to try and get the biggest size. In years past I planted my pumpkins on July 4th so they wouldn't be ripe before September.

Why the seed packs always say 90-120 days I will never know.

*I do know my big pumpkins had a solid canopy of big leaves to shade them so I don't believe it was the sun.
by Back Mountain NEPA on September 14, 2006 12:59 AM
Sorry for the late thank you, guys. I was away and when I got back I was really busy. I haven't picked them yet because the vine isn't 100% dead, so maybe they'll grow a bit more. I always appreciate your help!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Set decoration request via e-mail| Next thread: Sevin »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: