The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hydrangea problems-

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hydrangea problem| Next thread: Hydrangea question »
Back to Thread index
by GaWd on May 26, 2004 09:06 PM
I have 3 Hydrangeas. One I've had potted for over a year now and has light green, waxy foliage. This is a standard popcorn ball-type hydrangea. The very edges of the leaves are turning a touch red...is there any reason for this? The plant looks totally healthy(even though I see no blooms coming up now), I was just wondering if I was exceeding the light exposure of the plant.

I have another Hydrangea that I purchased recently. It is supposed to be a Niko Blue hyd. but the flowers are coming out pink. This guy is in great shape, too.

My other Hyd., however, is in distress. I made the mistake of buying him from a supermarket. It was potted in peat I think, and kept drying out, so I repotted it in regular potting soil. Then in a few weeks, the leaves turned brown and spotted and just generally look ugly. It hasn't grown much, either. I'm of half a mind to fertilize it and see what happens.

Aside from nutritional concerns, what would make the leaves stay so small and discolored?

How should potted Hyds be fertilized?

Thanks!

Sam

Sam Roza
by sibyl on May 27, 2004 07:26 AM
did you look in [ gardening ] at the top were it says the garden helper. click the [gardening] & go down to comon names, it has hydraneas in there , the flowers changing color has something to do with the soil, check it out.& hope it helps ya

-
 -
by alankhart on May 28, 2004 01:17 AM
The reason your blue hydrangea is blooming pink is because of the soil pH. Acid soil will give you blue, alkaline soil will give you pink. If you want them to be blue, add acidic fertilizer.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hydrangea problem| Next thread: Hydrangea question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: