The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

it's a jungle out there!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: It must be my spelling| Next thread: It's a triumph! »
Back to Thread index
by DeeLuzon on August 10, 2006 06:26 PM
i'd like to take this opportunity to send my thanks to all the posters who have been of invaluable help to me as i've blundered my way into a successful vegetable garden this year!!

well, between the rains and the heat, it took awhile, but everything is, at long last, thriving and some tomatoes have begun to ripen. it would seem, for the moment anyway, all's right with the world (at least my little piece of it). here are some pictures...

-

-

-

-

my first (albeit, green) brandywine!
 - ]

against all odds (and innumerable icky things), a baby cantaloupe!
 -

carrots, zucchini, bunching onions, cucumbers, basil & tomatoes (striped cavern, Eva's purple ball, orange banana, pleated Zapotec & Burbank red slicing
 -

onions, scallions & shallots drying
 -

if anyone is interested, my efforts are comprehensively chronicled and on display at my site, Growth Industry.

thanks again!

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by chenno on August 10, 2006 07:04 PM
[thumb] [clappy] wOW....Looks super!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by johnCT on August 11, 2006 12:33 AM
Well done! Great pictures.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on August 11, 2006 05:46 AM
Man, that's one NICE, NICE lookin' garden...
*I only wished mine looked like that, or ever*
You did a great job...

That's a harvest fit for the palace..
*What time is dinner??* [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by penny in ontario on August 11, 2006 05:56 AM
What a great looking veggie garden you have there!!!
Well Done [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Woodland Garden on August 11, 2006 06:19 AM
You have a well planned out garden there. But the bugs could care less, right? [Big Grin]

Obviously you have many deer afoot with that big fence.
by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 06:29 AM
Your garden looks fabulous--lush, green, and healthy!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by DeeLuzon on August 11, 2006 09:54 AM
thanks for all the support!

Woodland Garden, yeah, the deer are brazen (despite two very vigilant standard poodles) as are the bunnies, lately. I just wish the bugs were as easy to keep away from the produce.

Weezie, there is no defined dinner time here (it's just the dogs and i with my collegiate son gone most of the time), but there's ALWAYS chilled creamed cucumber soup in the fridge and bacon&tomato fixings (or mozzarella&tomato) and i'm about to dehydrate some of those orange banana (plum-like) toms in my nifty new dehydrator & grate some zucchini for sundry recipes... so drop by anytime for a home-grown treat!!

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by ChristinaC on August 11, 2006 09:59 AM
quote:
but there's ALWAYS chilled creamed cucumber soup in the fridge and bacon&tomato fixings (or mozzarella&tomato) and i'm about to dehydrate some of those orange banana (plum-like) toms in my nifty new dehydrator & grate some zucchini for sundry recipes... so drop by anytime for a home-grown treat!!

Now that's my kinda' food!! [clappy]
Your garden is beautiful!! Your harvest pics are mouth watering...perhaps I will drop by anytime for a home-grown treat. [Wink] [thumb]

Christina

-
 -
by comfrey on August 11, 2006 04:05 PM
Very nice garden!!!!

-
 -
by DeeLuzon on August 11, 2006 05:05 PM
here's what i concoted tonight...

orange banana tomatoes partially dehydrated
 -

chilled, creamed cucumber soup, zucchini fritters w/ sour cream, Burbank slicing tomato & basil
 -

everything was home-grown & everything was delicious (the fritters would be particularly yummy with the mint chutney you get at indian restaurants). unfortunately, i've no way to make my own coke, so i guess i'm not quite self-sustaining, just yet. oh well.

- Oscar Wilde
by peppereater on August 11, 2006 06:49 PM
Man, I'm so jealous of you folks who can post pics of your gardens. Mine is nothing but a huge weed patch with tomato plants and okra poking out. I've also been spraying twice a day for some kind of black bug that LOVES tomato leaves.
I'm eating tomatoes every day right now, though, and that's all that matters to me, especially with the high for today hitting 108! I'm watering, but I will NOT get out and weed in this heat!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 04:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
Mine is nothing but a huge weed patch with tomato plants and okra poking out.
I'm eating tomatoes every day right now, though, and that's all that matters to me, especially with the high for today hitting 108! I'm watering, but I will NOT get out and weed in this heat!

[thumb] [thumb] [thumb] I hear you peppereater, mine is the sameway. I am not getting out there in all of this heat to weed. I am considering taking the push mower in there to make a patch to the tomato rows though [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by peppereater on August 12, 2006 12:56 PM
Comfrey, when I water or pick tomatoes, I get about 5,000 sandburs in my socks! (It's worth it for them 'maters, though!)

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 02:37 PM
Dave are those bugs solid black??? Take a look at the ones I found today around my melons I had rubber knee boots on today we got 3 inches of rain over night and I knew it would be really wet in the garden.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 12, 2006 02:38 PM
Buglady might know..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by CajunMama on August 12, 2006 03:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:
I hear you peppereater, mine is the sameway. I am not getting out there in all of this heat to weed. I am considering taking the push mower in there to make a patch to the tomato rows though
I took my tiller in there to get to my maters and cukes. [lala] But ya didn't hear it from me...

I might brave the burs if I needed to, too. [thumb]

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 03:49 PM
CajunMama...Its too late for the tiller where I need to walk, weeds are too tall and thick in the front path for it to even phase them. This has been a really hot and hard summer for gardening. I like the raised beds Dee has though...looks as if they would be easier to care for....My big problem was I didn't put down any mulch this year and I normally do.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 12, 2006 04:00 PM
Heyyyyyyy, we should start a new thread
on "HOW OUTTA CONTROL OUR GARDENS' ARE!!!" [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: It must be my spelling| Next thread: It's a triumph! »
Back to Thread index