The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Strange pumpkin patch this year

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Strange Orchid| Next thread: Strange spider plant question »
Back to Thread index
by Woodland Garden on August 07, 2006 02:38 PM
I have three Prizewinner pumpkins planted this year. Had hopes for a huge one. Went the extra yard and really prepared the soil well. I do have two big ones and both have the potential to be 100lbs+. What is strange is they are the only two pumpkins that set. I had planned to thin the blossoms down to one per plant but no more formed anyway. That's a first for me, usually I get a lot of pumpkins setting and I have to eliminate them to get a big one. One vine has no pumpkins and thats even more odd.

-
by Woodland Garden on August 07, 2006 02:49 PM
The pumpkin in the picture is about two feet high and three weeks old.
by LandOfOz on August 07, 2006 03:09 PM
Wow, woodland, that pumpkin looks great and it's huge!!! Looks like you did prepare that soil well!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Woodland Garden on August 07, 2006 03:21 PM
I run the drip line just about every day now that it's been dry. Trying to pump it up as much as possible. lol
by Woodland Garden on August 07, 2006 03:39 PM
Here is that same pumpkin not that long ago on july 26th.
 -
by DeepCreekLake on August 08, 2006 12:40 PM
Becarefull of overfeeding/water too much at once- they can rupture! This is one the biggest problems with champion pumpkin growers. What breed pumpkin is it?
by Woodland Garden on August 08, 2006 02:28 PM
Its a Burpee Prizewinner. I grew them two years ago and got a 150# one without doing anything special. This year I have done everything I can and it doesn't look like I get one that big.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Strange Orchid| Next thread: Strange spider plant question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: