The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flowering Dogwood

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Flowering Crab Apple Trees| Next thread: Flowering foliage plants »
Back to Thread index
by NYC Brownstone on May 25, 2004 12:18 AM
I have two flowering dogwoods in my backyard garden in NYC. They were originally living in barrels for about 5 years on a rooftop. Three years ago I moved to a brownstone and planted them in the ground. The first year they flowered profusely. The following two years they have grown enormously, and seem very healthy except that one of them has produced no flowers and the other only 1! They get direct sunlight for about 3 or 4 hours a day, approximately 11AM to 4PM. I thought that they are known to do well in shade, so I was surprised that they stopped producing flowers. Any idea what I can do to get them to produce more flowers?

NYC Brownstone Owner
by afgreyparrot on May 25, 2004 04:26 PM
I can't help you, but will be watching this post! I have, for some reason, never done well with a "store bought" dogwood! The wild ones here are beautiful, but I want a PINK one! I just planted a Cherokee dogwood from Cottage Farms a few weeks ago, and it looks DEAD to me already! [tears]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on May 25, 2004 04:35 PM
Okay NYCBrownstone and Cindy,
How are your planting area's???????

Here's a link to a Forrestery place that has some info on it, (nothing yet on the flowering part, but because the growing requirements are not met, maybe that's due to the growing area????? [dunno] )
Flowering Dogwood

Can you both tell us what or how or where you've planted them???

(sometimes even too deep may be a factor, remember they must stay at the level of ground where they came out)

Keep us posted [critic] [critic]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flowering Crab Apple Trees| Next thread: Flowering foliage plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: