The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"Stud-ly" Banana Melon Vines

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on July 27, 2006 01:50 AM
Hi all,

I hope you can help me out. the banana melons that I planted this spring are flowering big time,and have been for quite awhile. But, it appears that all of the flowers are male. I have yet to see anything that looks like a fruit behind any of the flowers. Does anyone have an clue about these types of vines?

-
 -
by Longy on July 28, 2006 12:56 PM
I dunno about them specifically TK, but try picking out the main leaders to encourage side shoots. This supposedly makes more female flowers on cucurbits. Also, don't be so nice to them. They may be so unstressed they have no need to reproduce. Let them dry out a little between waterings.

-
The secret is the soil.
by DeepCreekLake on July 28, 2006 01:00 PM
I am growing 3 types of melons this year- all my vines starting out mostly male flower- however they are starting to produce female flowers- maybe its a normal thing with melons.
by tkhooper on July 29, 2006 01:22 AM
Thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to try the pruning and changing the watering habit for awhile and see if that changes things. I really want to get some melons off of these plants.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: