The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Corn and squash won't make

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by bshifflett on July 26, 2006 03:45 PM
I live in VA and planted a very small garden for the first time in years. My tomatoes and peppers are great! But my corn and squash haven't done well at all. There have been lots and lots of blooms on the squash plants but just one lone squash. The corn stalks look good but I only have one ear of corn. Any ideas why???? I planted in the middle of May. The soil is BAD so I added fertilizer when I planted. [Confused]

bon
by Longy on July 26, 2006 08:51 PM
The corn and squash liike lots of organic matter incoorporated into the soil. They are heavy feeders. Adding manures and compost, blood and bone meal, etc gets them going. You can pile compost up the stems of the corn to give it a boost. They also like plenty of water. Maybe try some liquid fertilizer like fish emulsion once a week to give them a charge.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Soilmover on July 27, 2006 02:00 PM
Out of the different kinds of corn I've planted some have only gotten 1 ear of corn per stalk. It could just be that particular variety does only 1 ear a plant.

And corn loves Nitrogen. If you only fertilized when you planted it might be good to give it good feeding of fertilizer again.

I just had the first batch of corn I planted this year for dinner the other night. Sure was tasty!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: