The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Another canning question

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by ChristinaC on August 15, 2005 06:58 AM
Is it necessary to use the canning rack when boiling the jars? I don't have one so I'll have to buy one tomorrow if I need it. Will the jars stand up on their own? or will they tip over and knock eachother around?
Thanx!
Christina

-
 -
by Karrie on August 15, 2005 10:06 AM
I would suggest useing one, my mother doesnt adn she had a jar bust on here before from contact with the bottom of the pan too quick. She cans like a maniac no order but I wouldnt try without one. Hubbys granny uses one usually but I have seen her on occasion not use em but she has a little wire round cooling shelf she will put in the bottom of that pan when she doesnt use one so that the jars done sit right on the bottom of it.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by comfrey on August 15, 2005 10:27 AM
I don't have a rack for my canner either, but another way around that is to take a small clean towel, wash cloth, dish rag etc and place in the bottom of the canner and then sit your jars on it, I have only had one jar break in the canner, and I am sure it was because it was not a regular canning jar, so with regular canning jars you should not have any problems. Also if you do not have enough jars of what you are canning to fill up your canner...just add a few extra empty jars (with no lids)full of water to keep jars from jiggling around to much and you should have no problems.

-
 -
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 18, 2005 09:41 AM
I have never had a rack and have been canning for about 10 years. I wish I had one...maybe some day.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: