The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

missouri question #1 I already harvested potatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: missing my hummingbird| Next thread: Misting »
Back to Thread index
by itsbeen15years on July 25, 2006 03:12 PM
[flower] [flower] [dunno] [dunno]
Well I will start with the soil it just dirt from a dump truck mixed with mushroom and cow manure. I planted a seed purple potato in april. I did water each morning with a sprayer hose.
I had great plants and by june 25th or so they were dried and I pulled them and harvested a few potatoes. what did I do wrong.
by comfrey on July 25, 2006 03:21 PM
Did your potato plants bloom??? And was this fresh manure? Did you have any pest problems? And how many pototoes are you calling a few? I planted mine late and mine are still green and some have bloomed and some have not, So I will wait awhile longer before I dig mine.

-
 -
by itsbeen15years on July 26, 2006 02:17 AM
My potatoes that I harvested did not bloom I have two more rows that did and they are still green. The manure was bagged, I would love to find a fresh source. I did not have pests and I did get about 3 potatoes per plant that were the size of my fist.
by comfrey on July 26, 2006 04:31 AM
If I had to guess I would say that the ones that dried up...the seed potato proable rotted or got a disease(fungus) before it could produce much. Pototoes shouldn't be harvested until they have bloomed and preferably after the foliage dies back, of course you can harvest a few new potatoes before that. Good luck with the rest of your potaotes! I lost alot of mine back in the spring from tooooo much rain...my seed pototoes rotted. I planted 3- 45' rows and if they were all together might equal one row and from what I have seen the yeild will not be anything near what it should.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: missing my hummingbird| Next thread: Misting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: