The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Berry Grunt

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: bermuda maintenance| Next thread: Berry Plants »
Back to Thread index
by maryann matthews on August 12, 2005 07:50 PM
Hi All:

I have wild blackberries and raspberries growing on the side of my garage. I gather at least 4 cups a day. I love them! Here is a recipe I found from Martha Stewart- I made it yesterday and it is yummy!
Enjoy! [critic]

Serves 8
GRUNT \'gr nt\ a dumpling-topped fruit dessert that’s cooked on the stove; it is often called a slump. Our grunt has blackberries and raspberries that simmer together. Then dollops of ginger-spiked dumpling batter are added to the pan, to steam in berry juice. Give everyone a dumpling and a splash of heavy cream.

1 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of ground cinnamon

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Salt

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/3 cup whole milk, room temperature

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

4 cups raspberries (about 1 1/2 pints)

3 cups blackberries (about 1 1/2 pints)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Heavy cream, for drizzling

1. Stir together 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside .Whisk together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, a pinch of salt, and the ginger in a medium bowl. Stir together milk and butter in a small bowl. Stir milk-butter mixture into the flour mixture. Set batter aside.

2. Gently fold together the raspberries, blackberries, lemon juice, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, the remaining pinch of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons water in a large bowl. Transfer the berry mixture to a large straight-sided skillet. Cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.

3. Drop 8 large dollops of batter on top of berry mixture using 2 spoons, spacing them evenly. Sprinkle dumplings with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover; reduce heat to medium. Cook until the dumplings are cooked through and juices are bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve warm, drizzled with cream.

-
To get your ideas across use small words, big ideas, and short
sentences.

-- John Henry Patterson
by topcat on August 13, 2005 08:04 AM
That sounds delicious, and with only 3/4 of a cup of flour turning it gluten free won't be too much of a problem, it will have to wait till I can get the ingrediants for it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bermuda maintenance| Next thread: Berry Plants »
Back to Thread index