The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Mess!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My Melocactus oreas (flowering)| Next thread: My Mini Stripie Rose »
Back to Thread index
by ChristinaC on July 23, 2006 10:22 AM
ugh..my garden is a disaster! It's so strange how I keep up such an immaculate home..I'm a clean freak..most say I'm obsessive compulsive about it..but when it comes to my garden..a mess! I can't tell where something starts and something ends..I just kept planting..thinking..."oh..I have room". What a pain in the rear to weed!!! I have to tiptoe around everything. Does anyone else have this same problem? I see pics of people's gardens that are spaced out so beautifully...lots of room to walk between the rows, etc..I wish! I need help!!

-

-

Atleast my herb row is well spaced out:

-

I am definitely expanding my garden atleast twice the size for next year!!!

-
 -
by Longy on July 23, 2006 11:59 AM
For what it's worth Christina, i reckon the vegies look great. Because they are so densely planted, there is little room for weed competition. I see you squeezed marigolds into spaces and everything looks really healthy. It's about growing lots of fresh vegies, not about how it looks. Keep going just as you are!

-
The secret is the soil.
by LandOfOz on July 23, 2006 12:00 PM
Christina, I don't think I've ever been happier to read a post before. I am terrible at spacing out my garden. I keep thinking "hey there is some dirt! What can I put there!" But I got an alfalfa bale and I'm working on putting it down as mulch, instead of planting every square inch of garden! This way I'm still playing in my garden but not planting.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on July 23, 2006 12:04 PM
I am terrible at spacing too. some of my stuff is over crowded and some is sparse. I just can't seem to get it write. And I've read all the spacing tables. It just looks bare when I follow those with my seedlings so I plant closer and then some of the plants die because they don't have room and then I end up without enough to make it full.

The zinnias even pulled away from one another to leave me a bald spot right in the middle of the bed. Grrrh.

If you come up with a solution for those of use who are "space" challenged let me know please.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on July 23, 2006 12:46 PM
quote:
"space" challenged
Hooper...you're a hoot!
Maybe someday we'll learn. [thumb]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on July 23, 2006 01:50 PM
Here's another view. Look how close together everything is! [Big Grin] [nutz]

-

-
 -
by Longy on July 23, 2006 09:16 PM
Look how close together everything is!
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Yeah but look how healthy it is. Keep it going. It's a beautiful garden.

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on July 23, 2006 09:40 PM
Christina, I think everything looks beautiful [thumb] so I don't really see any problem with it. Everything looks so big and healthy, so it seems to me that you've done a great job! [clappy] Enjoy your success and don't worry so much! [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tamara on July 24, 2006 02:16 AM
Looks like my garden also. Everytime I expand for more room, I end up planting in it as well. I can't even walk between the rows right now. Mind you everything is healthy and growing well. Looks great. Keep it up.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by ChristinaC on July 24, 2006 02:21 AM
Thank-you everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I haven't posted pics in so long because I was a little embarassed.

Tamara..that's kinda' funny about expanding, then just filling it up just the same. I have a feeling I'll end up doing the same. [thumb]

-
 -
by Amigatec on July 24, 2006 04:07 AM
Mine has so much grass growing I am embarrassed to show it. I have the times set to water twice daily and I am going to reset it to water every 2 days.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by weezie13 on July 24, 2006 04:15 AM
Ah, I have such limited space in mine..
It's a wonder you can even see it by fall time..

Right now, my butter nut squashes are running rampid... and I run out of room for everything,
I even plant lettuce under vining crops on hoops,
so I can double my space..

Ther'es never enough room in a veggie garden..
(I even had to till up part of my old garden *in the ground* to put the over spillage of plants this year)

Although, tomatoes are the one thing I try NOT to over plant.. I have learned my lesson, because of the wilt.. so the more I space them the better they and I are for it..
*and I've found the less I handle them the better they are for it too*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Rosepetal on July 24, 2006 07:49 AM
Christina, I'm one of those straight and clean row gals, but let me share a little secret. I have to let weeds grow too, I just can't keep up with pulling them all out. [dunno]

Your garden looks beautiful and healthy, but most important is you accomplished something and its good. [muggs]

Smile and think just like a garden with some weeds and crowded spaces, so are we, and we love to say please be patient with me God isn't finished with me yet. [thumb] [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Triss on July 24, 2006 08:39 AM
Christina, I honestly wish I had your "problem". Your garden looks absolutely beautiful! So full and healthy!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Sorellina on July 24, 2006 09:29 AM
Ciao Christina,

I'm very impressed that you were able to get your cabbage to head. Ours always looks like it's trying to be a form of Romaine, never heads. I think if we grow Brassicas in the future, it's definitely time to acquire a bunny for Munchkin. Broccoli never heads either. I must be Brassica-challenged or something, lol.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by Deborah L. on July 24, 2006 09:31 AM
Christina, all I can say is, wow ! Gorgeous !
Are ya sneakin' in pictures from a magazine on us??? [Big Grin] [grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 24, 2006 09:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sorellina:
I'm very impressed that you were able to get your cabbage to head.

Mine have been eaten by green cabbage worms,
I'd say at least 3 times, and today was the 3rd time the Woodchucks' got after them..
*broccoli's too*
Neither of mine resemble anything but "Swiss Cheese" [Mad] [Frown] [Razz]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on July 24, 2006 11:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sorellina:
I'm very impressed that you were able to get your cabbage to head.

Those are brussel sprouts. [thumb]

-
 -
by johnCT on July 25, 2006 12:36 AM
Where are you gonna put all the heirloom tomatoes next year?! [dunno] [tongue]

Your plants look great. I have no idea why you're worried about weeding. There's no room for weeds. [Razz] [tongue]

Time for more rasied beds. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by johnCT on July 25, 2006 01:01 AM
Weezie, thanks. Tried to PM you, but as usual, your mailbox is full. [Big Grin] [kissies]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on July 25, 2006 01:49 AM
[thumb] [kissies]
I just don't know how that thing fills up??
[Embarrassed] [dunno] [grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on July 26, 2006 04:58 AM
Your garden looks great Christina! Like someone else said...less room for weeds to grow. Here is what mine looked like July 11:  -

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 26, 2006 05:30 AM
I love that garden Comfrey!!!
It's AWESOME LOOKING...

*and I want that fence!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [tears] [tears] [tears] *

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on July 26, 2006 05:55 AM
Good to see ya posting again Comfrey. Your garden looks terrific.....but shouldn't the tomatoes be in the foreground and everything else be in the background? [dunno] [tongue]

John - Zone 6
by penny in ontario on July 26, 2006 06:37 AM
Looks great Comfrey!! [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by comfrey on July 26, 2006 06:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
but shouldn't the tomatoes be in the foreground and everything else be in the background? [dunno] [tongue]
LOL...I took a picture of the tomato plants in the front of the picture, but it only showed them and nothing else..this is an in general picture of my garden.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on July 26, 2006 08:02 AM
quote:
I see pics of people's gardens that are spaced out so beautifully...lots of room to walk between the rows, etc..I wish!
Comfrey's garden is exactly what I was talking about in this quote. Isn't it gorgeous?! [flower] And just as she is!! [kissies]
(BTW Comfrey..b/f buggin' me again yesterday about when we're going to see you. [thumb] )

-
 -
by comfrey on July 26, 2006 08:43 AM
I knew there was a reason I like you Christina...You always know the best things to say to make a person feel good. Thank You!!!

Weezie...the fence is dog pen fencing and is cheaper then most other types of fencing, plus with the smaller openings..it keeps out alittle more.

I have had many gardens that were crowded up, and tip toed around between plants and I hate it, so that is one reason I always plan my garden on paper every winter to allow for room to walk and move around, plus with my little cultivator, I will plan better next season so it will fit down all of the rows. This is the first year you can actually walk down between the tomato plant rows and pick them without having to reach through tomato plants to get to another plant [Big Grin]

So gardening no matter how experienced you are is always a learning process and each of us try to improve upon the previous year/years. Just like Christina stated..She is having a bigger garden next year [Big Grin] [Big Grin] More room for weeds to grow [Wink]

-
 -
by Sorellina on July 27, 2006 01:55 PM
Ciao John,

Hey you, what's going on with your awesome raised beds you made this year all by your lil self? Let's see a recent pic of your garden!

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by johnCT on July 28, 2006 12:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:
Just like Christina stated..She is having a bigger garden next year [Big Grin] [Big Grin] More room for weeds to grow [Wink]
....and heirloom tomatoes! [Wink]

Well said Comfrey.

Julianna, I'll take some new pics today or tomorrow and post them. Everything's doing real well. A few spots of disease that I'm trying to keep up on, but most plants are thriving. Ya know, I'm glad I took your advice and put a six foot cage on ARGG. That bad girl is now at six and a half feet and still going! Still nothing else showing color except the four I've already tried. Should be harvesting my first lime green salad in the next few days though.

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on July 28, 2006 02:18 AM
quote:
so that is one reason I always plan my garden on paper every winter to allow for room to walk and move around,
Yes..I do the same thing. Guess it didn't work for me this year..or last year...or the year before that, or the year before that, or the... [Big Grin] [nutz]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Melocactus oreas (flowering)| Next thread: My Mini Stripie Rose »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: