The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lemon blueberry chicken salad

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: leland cypress utrning brown| Next thread: Lemon grass »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on August 11, 2005 10:04 AM
This recipe is gobbled down by my daughter and husband like no other, ever!!!

Last year, we visited our son at college in upstate NY and went blueberry picking. They were the most gorgeous, delicious, HUGE like marbles, blueberries we have ever had. We each got a bucket to pick them into, and of course had no idea how much we had until we went back up front to weigh them in. Turns out that between the 4 of us, we picked 16 pounds!!! What were we to do with all those berries?!?!?!?

We left 1/3 of them with our son, and took the rest home. Made lots of blueberry smoothies, ate them fresh, made muffins, etc. Then my son e-mailed me this recipe and we could not get enough of it!!!

My daughter describes it as "the perfect food!"
It has yogurt (good for you), chicken (protein), veggies and fruit (we all know how good these are for you!) It's a nice cold salad for these oppressive summer days, and I can't keep it in the fridge for more than a day - no matter how much I make - they eat it so quickly! We had it for dinner tonite, and it will probably be gone after lunch tomorrow - both of them will be home.

Very simple to make - just a matter of cooking the chicken and cutting the veggies, and adding the dressing.

Low-Fat Lemon Blueberry and Chicken Salad

2 cups fresh blueberries, divided (I put them all in - don't save any for garnish)
3/4 low-fat lemon yogurt
3 tbsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
1/2 cup sliced green onion (scallions)
3/4 cup diagonally sliced celery
1/2 cup diced sweet red bell pepper

To prepare: Reserve a few blueberries for garnish. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise and salt. Add remaining blueberries, the chicken, green onions and bell pepper; mix gently. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend; at least 30 minutes. Serve over endive or other greens garnished with reserved blueberries and lemon slices, if desired. Yield: 4 portions (about 5 cups). Submitted by North American Blueberry Council

I usually serve it plain without the endive or greens,
though that sounds really good too! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Merme on August 11, 2005 12:43 PM
Wow! This sounds so yummy! And of course, blueberries are so plentiful here in Maine...

[thumb]

Thanks!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Merme on August 13, 2005 05:00 AM
Oops! I totally misunderstood this recipe. For some reason I thought it was a PASTA salad... don't know why I made that assumption, but I did!

So I made mine for dinner tonight with cooked medium shells pasta added. And it was delicious!

Thanks, Lynne. Next time I'll be sure to read the directions the way you wrote them!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by plants 'n pots on August 13, 2005 10:02 AM
Merme - I think that it's a great idea to add pasta shells!!! What could be wrong with those? Sounds like a terrific addition to the recipe. How did Maxi like it?

-
 -
by Merme on August 13, 2005 10:49 AM
Oh Lynne, Maxi like it just fine! He was really tickled that the dressing was primarily yogurt. And of course, with all the other ingredients being so delicious in of themselves, he was really pleased. (I skipped the scallions just for him tonight)

What a very fancy, handsome treat that is to put in a bowl.

Thanks, Lynne!

Merme

-
 -

by Tattooeed on August 30, 2005 12:07 PM
I just tried this recipe tonight and my husband and I both loved it.
Of course, I had to try 3 stores before I found one that carried blueberries but it was worth it!

I think that the addition of some pecans or walnuts might be nice in this one.
by plants 'n pots on August 30, 2005 09:33 PM
Tatooeed - glad you guys like it. Adding some pecans or walnuts sounds yummy! Thanks for the suggestion!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on January 26, 2006 07:48 AM
Moving this up since I made it for dinner tonight.
Hope you enjoy!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: leland cypress utrning brown| Next thread: Lemon grass »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: