The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato fruit set...post your results Part II

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 1
by johnCT on July 26, 2006 02:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Comfrey, I'll take those treasures over a perfect looking store tomato anytime ! [thumb]
Werd! [thumb] [muggs]

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on July 27, 2006 04:05 AM
Ciao all,

I picked my first 2 Kotlas today, but waiting for Duane to get home to take a pic and taste them. Mountain Princess started blushing last week but still hasn't fully ripened. Picked 2 more Kimberleys and 4 Sungold F1's. Anna Russian, Borgo Cellano, and Not Aunt Gertie's Gold all have blush now. Not Aunt Gertie's Gold is definitely some kind of cherry. I'll have no clue what our buddy planted near them last year until they ripen, but I'm sure they'll be tasty.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by peppereater on July 27, 2006 01:44 PM
Well, for all of my griping about this years harvest, I do have a pretty picture to share...  -
They look somewhat better than they taste, but they taste pretty darn good.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by weezie13 on July 27, 2006 01:48 PM
Oh tasty tasty tasty.........
Lickin' my lips here in New York for those...
Those look soooooooo good!

*I did eat my first 2 cherry tomatoes today*
Woooooooo~hooooooooooooo!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Sorellina on July 27, 2006 01:51 PM
Ciao Dave,

I'm going to pre-empt John because I know he'll ask...German Red Strawberry, Black Plum, and..?

That would make a lovely Caprese Salad if you added some fresh mozzarella and basil...this is what I did with my Wonder Lights last year..they're kind of hollow so I made little boats out of them and stuffed them with mozzarella:

-

The wee basil is a globe variety called "Minette". I love it for salads and for tossing onto a pizza when you don't want huge leaves.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by weezie13 on July 27, 2006 01:53 PM
Ohhhhhhh geeeeeeesh, those look great, Julianna!!!!
What is the "liquid" recipe besides those
tomatoes and mozz cheese???????
ohhhhhhh yummyyyyyyyyy!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on July 27, 2006 01:59 PM
Julianna, you're so good! The third is Bloody Butcher. I'll send you $100 dollars for 5 lbs of that mozarella.... [clappy]

-
Dave
by Triss on July 27, 2006 02:23 PM
Both those plates look delicious! YUMMY!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by johnCT on July 28, 2006 12:33 AM
Wow, great pics guys. No recipes for me yet. Just slicing and eating for me so far. Ate my first lucky leprechaun last night. Very good, but doesn't compare to the 5 or 6 sungolds I chased it with. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on July 28, 2006 03:57 AM
Ciao Weezie,

It's a splash of extra virgin olive oil (don't skimp here, use the dark green stuff) and a good quality balsamic vinegar, then just a sprinkling of sea salt and freshly ground pepper..that's it. Semplice (simple).

Buon appetito!
Julianna

PS Dave, don't you have fresh mozzarella in Oklahoma? No Italians there, eh? Door's open here, let me know if you're ever planning a trip to Toronto, we'll fix you up.

-
by peppereater on July 30, 2006 09:35 AM
First Aunt Ruby's German Green today, oh great googlymooglys. I think it was even a day or 2 early. So sorry there are only a few fruits... [thumb] Yummm.

-
Dave
by johnCT on July 31, 2006 03:51 PM
Man I'm jealous! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on August 01, 2006 04:38 AM
Dave, great googlymooglies???
I'm adding that to my vocabulary ! Hilarious ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by peppereater on August 01, 2006 12:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Dave, great googlymooglies???
I'm adding that to my vocabulary ! Hilarious ! [Big Grin]

I've been inspired by some of the other nuts around here...not naming names! [Big Grin] [nutz]
I figure I can hang with the best of them! [thumb]

-
Dave
by Bestofour on August 01, 2006 01:54 PM
Dave, what does that German Green taste like?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Deborah L. on August 01, 2006 05:58 PM
I want names !!! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 01, 2006 06:21 PM
I had my first 'Jet Star' the other night with my dinner and it was great! [thumb] There is nothing that tastes better than home-grown tomatoes. [Wink] I had a "Big Boy' today and it's looks like one of my 'Heatwaves' will be ripe by tomorrow. I'm anxious to see what that tastes like. [dunno]

quote:
oh great googlymooglys
Oh Dave, it's been many, many years since I've heard that expression. What a treat! It brings back a lot of memeories. [Smile] [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Rosepetal on August 03, 2006 12:03 PM
I finally get to post some pictures of my cherry tomatoes. I've been eating them off the vine as they ripe one at a time, and now they're finally ripening faster.

-

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Bestofour on August 03, 2006 12:39 PM
Boy Rosepetal, looking good.

-
 -
by Triss on August 05, 2006 06:15 AM
I harvested my first and only tomato today. It is a Taxi.

-

-
 -
by johnCT on August 05, 2006 07:10 AM
Definitely a Taxi. Aren't they beautiful! Did you try it Triss?

John - Zone 6
by Triss on August 05, 2006 07:13 AM
Very pretty. Have not had it yet, it will be sliced for our dinner tonight and grace our campfire hamburgers! Should be delicious!

-
 -
by comfrey on August 05, 2006 08:30 AM
That is a nice looking tomato Triss!!!!

-
 -
by johnCT on August 05, 2006 08:34 AM
My first yellow variety was Citron Compact. Almost exactly the same. Small and bright yellow on a dwarf plant perfect for containers. It was very good too.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on August 05, 2006 10:32 AM
That is just beautiful, Triss! Is it fully ripe? Those true yellow types must be tricky to tell. I'm keeping a close eye on a Plum Lemon that's about that color.
I had my first Brandywine of the season...now I remember why it's my favorite tomato I've ever grown. I have grown them for 5 years, and will NEVER go a year without them.
Bestofour...the Aunt Rubies German Green has a very rich, intense flavor, a nice, sharp "acidy" flavor like a great red tomato, but a nice sweetness, too. Maybe the best tomato I've ever eaten with the exception of BW. I can't wait to plant a dozen of 'em next year...and the one I ate, I'm pretty sure, was a day or even 2 from being perfectly ripe! [thumb] I think there may be something special about green-when-ripe tomatoes. I can't wait to try another...they are REFUSING to get ripe! [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by Triss on August 05, 2006 10:58 AM
Dave, yes I believe it is fully ripe. Just a lil give when you push on it.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on August 05, 2006 12:24 PM
Nice looking tomato Triss, I've never tasted a yellow one, what does it taste like?

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Bestofour on August 06, 2006 03:30 AM
How do you know when that Taxi is ready to eat? And how do you know when a green tomato is ripe?

-
 -
by peppereater on August 06, 2006 03:58 AM
Green-when-ripe and yellows are hard to tell, you have to give 'em a gentle squeeze. Even then, it's hard to know if they're perfectly ripe. Some 'maters are pink when ripe, too, and that can be just as tricky, but you get the hang of it once you've picked one or two.

-
Dave
by Triss on August 06, 2006 06:28 AM
Well we had the tomato for dinner last night and it was SO GOOD!!! I will be growing more than one plant next season. Very good mello flavor!

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 06, 2006 12:57 PM
I' going to plant some yellow ones next year too. I love that color.

-
 -
by lakegran on August 07, 2006 01:11 AM
OHHHH YUMMMM ..They all look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the fresh mozzerella too and not so easy to find here either, but...... I can live with feta or a little goat cheese, a nice crusty baguette, and the same 'liquid and basil I see on those lovely yellow? tomatoes.
What a way to start a day [clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
by johnCT on August 08, 2006 12:40 AM
There are a great many yellow varieties to choose from. You can see by the following link. I am growing Taxi, Citron Compact, and Lillian's Yellow.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/yellows.htm

John - Zone 6
by Bestofour on August 08, 2006 12:50 PM
that lemon boy looks yummy

-
 -
by Triss on August 08, 2006 01:00 PM
I am so excited. While I was out watering today I noticed lots of new tomatoes! Will take pics when it is not so hot out there. I may actually get more than a crop of ONE lonesome tomato this year! [thumb]

-
 -
by peppereater on August 08, 2006 01:42 PM
Triss, seems like many people had late fruit set this year...if you're seeing tomatoes, you're good to go! Now it's just a waiting game... [Roll Eyes] Wish I could share some of mine!

-
Dave
by Triss on August 08, 2006 02:38 PM
Me too Dave, me too!! Gonna hit the fruit stand this weekend. If I cannot grow salsa fixings, then I will buy them. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on August 09, 2006 06:45 AM
My Taxi's
 -

And Oregon Spring
 -

-
 -
by johnCT on August 13, 2006 03:54 PM
Two Black from Tulas, a few Black Cherries and one Wes, a red heart-shaped fruit...they're not quite as dark as the picture shows.

-

John - Zone 6
by Triss on August 13, 2006 04:06 PM
Such a deep color! Very nice looking. How do they taste?

-
 -
by comfrey on August 13, 2006 04:19 PM
Those look yummy John!!! Great job [thumb]

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 13, 2006 04:28 PM
Start slicin' them up John, and sending them my way for petes'sake!!!
Goooooshhhhhhhhh those look so good!!!

*I'm still on my cherries, but they are tasty
lil'morsels in the garden*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Sorellina on August 15, 2006 08:01 AM
Ciao John,

I've been away from the computer for the last few weeks we've had Munchkin here and I'm way behind on uploading pictures. It's on my list for this week. How are you loving BFT? It's one of my very favourites. I've harvested one, but it went straight away into a big batch of caponata I made with BFT, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Purple Russian. I've got one I picked early today (it was caught inside a "cage" of vines, so I yanked it before it got soft) and a huge Cherokee Purple weighing 15 oz. to put on some bruschetta sandwiches later in the week.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by johnCT on August 16, 2006 12:53 AM
Weezie, it's certainly big enough to share with everyone! Julianna, I was wondering where you've been! Things have gotten complicated with the little munchkins here as well the last few evenings and I still have those BFTs on the counter. Tonight is BLT night though and those two BFTs will meet their maker inevitably. [clappy] The larger fruit are starting to come in consistantly now. Last night I picked my second CP. A beautiful specimen that is probably a couple days from being dead ripe. GMG was excellent. Mortgage lifter was very good on our first BLTs of the season. The only fruits I really have not cared for are SFT and Lucky Leprechaun.

John - Zone 6
by Bamboo on August 17, 2006 02:33 AM
John, those tomatoes look YUMMY!!!!

I've got a little question by the way, it might sound silly - some of my tomato plants have formed 2 growing tips. Should I pinch out one of the tips or just leave them? [perplexed] And is there any reason for them to form in the first place?
by johnCT on August 17, 2006 02:50 AM
Bamboo, that's just the natural habit of tomato plants. No real need to prune them. It's a personal choice.

John - Zone 6
by Bamboo on August 17, 2006 04:16 AM
Thanks John. This is the first time I have grown tomatoes, so I was quite concerned when they started going a bit mutant.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: