The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cucumbers in a cage

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: cucumbers for pickling| Next thread: Cucurbit Cross-Pollination »
Back to Thread index
by Bestofour on July 17, 2006 03:12 PM
I tried to find the original post about this but couldn't. I wanted to tell you guys that my cukes that I put cages around have done much better than the ones on the ground. I'm getting bucket after bucket. And my patio cukes didn't do well at all. The plants have already dried up. I got a few 4 inch ones and then they just stopped.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Danno on July 17, 2006 04:12 PM
agreed! I got triangular cages around mine that are 4' tall. These babys are PUMPING out cucumbers almost every day, if not every other. I noticed (and read alot) that they LOVE water, and they do indeed [Smile]
by luv2garden&quilt on July 18, 2006 02:35 PM
I had read before planting that cucumbers could be trained to climb, but didn't think it necessary for our garden. Boy was I wrong!!! They are overtaking the beans and zucchini!! They are producing well and we've already harvested several dozen with a batch of 14-day pickles in the works. Would it be too late to try to corral them now? I was thinking of maybe some of those triangular cages, or maybe 2 of those put together to make a rectangle-shaped cage. . . .or anything! I'd love to have some walking space back in my garden!!!
by mlowe on July 18, 2006 03:00 PM
for the past 5 or 6 years i have put my cucumbers on a row of dog wire. it works so much better than growing them on the ground. alot easier to take care of, i made the mistake of planting them to close to my tomatoe plants, so once the dog wire was full ,they jumped to the wire i have my tomatoes tied too.

mlowe

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cucumbers for pickling| Next thread: Cucurbit Cross-Pollination »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: