The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oh, Deer!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Office Plants| Next thread: Oh Bird Man... »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on July 15, 2006 02:51 AM
We have had deer coming in for supper and midnight snacks lately in our vegetable gardens. Last night we hung two plastic bags on poles out there to see if that would work temporarily in keeping them away.

I haven't checked the garden yet to find out if they have finished picking it clean, but I wanted to ask if anyone had tried Irish Spring soap to keep them out. Do we unwrap the bars and toss them into the middle of the peas or what?

I refuse to let anyone shoot Bambi and her playmates!

Dianna

-
 -
by Wrennie on July 15, 2006 11:43 PM
I've used irish spring sucessfully. I use a cheese grater to grate up the soap. Then make little pouches of it in pantyhose type fabric and hang that around the garden. I've also made a spray. You have to respray every few days or when it rains. Take some soap, a chunk or shavings and put it in alot of water. Let it sit until it gets all gooey. Use that gooey goop add a bit more water so it doesnt clog your sprayer, I used a hand pumped sprayer but you could probably use a pressure sprayer too.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by DeepCreekLake on July 17, 2006 04:02 AM
Use, wooden stakes, a few feet tall tap them in the ground in various areas.- Drill a hole through the Irish Spring Soap (leave the box on!) Insert some twine,rope or wire, through the hole,and tie the bar to it, and hang them from the stakes. Open the bottom of the boxes on the bars of soap to let the smell out .This will keep the rain from melting away the bars so fast- but the box will break apart in a few months. You want the bars of soap to be at nose level of a deer they will wind it farther away.
by Dixie Angel on July 19, 2006 09:20 AM
Thank you both for your input. I will be putting the Irish Spring in the garden this evening using your help...

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Office Plants| Next thread: Oh Bird Man... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: