The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Vegetable Gardening

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: vegetable blooms falling off| Next thread: vegetable pots »
Back to Thread index
by ct_thatsmyname on July 13, 2006 01:05 PM
I've learned from your website that the reason for the splits in the top of my tomatoes are because of inconsistant watering, but what about yellow spots. My tomatoes taste great; are firm and regular/symetrical in size, but have yellow-looking spots just below the surface. What causes this? Is it related to the inconsistant watering? Help! This is our first attempt at "real tomatoes"!
ct

ct
by weezie13 on July 14, 2006 05:01 AM
Hello ct_thatsmyname,
Just going to let you know I am going to
move your post into the VEGETABLE SECTION,
there's lot's and lot's of Tomato Lovers in there
and you'll get some help.....

In the meantime, can you tell us more about
the type of soil your plants are in..?
Regular garden soil, or bagged...
If bagged, what kind?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MrClint on July 14, 2006 09:51 AM
Sometimes stink bugs will leave yellowish light colored swirly patterns, and little pin pricks as well. I see these from time to time on my Juliets, and I have nabbed a few stink bugs in the process. The fruit is perfectly fine to eat. Some tomatoes just ripen unevenly too, so you may see yellowish spots and shoulders. There my be other causes as well, but they shouldn't impact the flavor.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Longy on July 14, 2006 11:24 AM
stink bugs will leave yellowish light colored swirly patterns
+++++++++++++++
Fruit fly will also leave a similar mark on tomatoes. More of a yellow circular spot under the skin. There's a good chance your tommies are being attacked by some bug or pest insect.

If you leave a fruit, does it go rotten or does the yellowing increase? If it goes rotten, it may be fruitfly, if the yellow swirls like MrClint suggests become worse, then stink bugs are probably the culprit.
You can spray to keep these pests off but i prefer to use exclusion methods. (ie, i put a mosquito net over the bed.)
Stink bugs can squirt a nasty liquid which can cause you some problems if it goes in your eye, so be really careful removing them. Wear glasses. Some people use a little dust buster type vacuum cleaner to remove them.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: vegetable blooms falling off| Next thread: vegetable pots »
Back to Thread index