The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

winter crops?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Winter climbers| Next thread: Winter Garden questions »
Back to Thread index
by chatonnoir on July 13, 2006 07:28 AM
Since my tomatoes will probably curl up and die soon. What can I plant for fall and winter. Any good ideas on something wonderful? Pumpkins perhaps or is it too late to start anything now. I live in coastal southern north carolina.
by LandOfOz on July 13, 2006 11:21 AM
Once it cools off peas, carrots, lettuces, and radishes are very popular fall/winter crops. Optimal planting time for pumpkins is May and June, it is probably too late for them now. Thats all that I know off, but someone will be around and will fill you in on additional plants!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Amigatec on July 13, 2006 03:47 PM
Greens, like collards, mustard, spinach and turnip. Broccoli, califlower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts.

The're nothing a bunch of collards with a ham hock!!!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by obywan59 on July 14, 2006 03:21 AM
I have a bunch of cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower seedlings ready to transplant into cell packs for my fall garden. Cole crops are much tastier planted in the fall. Light frosts cause them to produce more sugars as a defence against freezing, so they are much sweeter. Same with the other plants Amigatec mentioned. You would also have time to plant some green beans. I still have one teepee of pole beans to plant, but bush would work also.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Longy on July 14, 2006 11:41 AM
It may be too late for your area, but i've found a crop of sweetcorn planted mid-late summer will grow like crazy and you'll get your harvest before the first frost hits. The seeds will germinate in about 3 or 4 days and then they grow like mad if the water and food is kept up. They won't grow thru winter though.
Too late for pumpkins but a few zuchinni plants may go OK if protected from any early frosts.

After this you're looking at the regular cool season crops as mentioned above.
I've been growing a little turnip called japanese turnip which is white and about 2-3 " in diameter. Beautiful even if eaten raw and the greens can be eaten like spinach too.
Parsnip. Yummo.-Make sure the seed is fresh.
Prepare the beds for allium tribe plants. ie, onion family. Leeks, etc. They like good drainage and a well limed soil.
Silverbeet and spinach will grow in the cooler months if established early.
Maybe some peas too, which also like a sweet soil.

-
The secret is the soil.
by tkhooper on July 15, 2006 04:11 AM
Terry

You've already started your seeds for your fall planting? Hum being at a lower elevation any idea when might be a good time for me to start mine? I have a north facing window. But it's getting up into the nineties this week. So could I start the lettuce cabbage and spinach now or do I need to wait until say around september? I never get the fall crops right for some reason.

-
 -
by obywan59 on July 15, 2006 04:18 AM
Tammy, lettuce you could plant anytime, but for fall use I would plant in August or September, same for spinach. I plant at several different times, but you may not have that luxury with more limited space. Cabbage, I would recommend planting now. My cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower were transplanted yesterday, so they'll be going into the ground in a few weeks.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Triss on July 16, 2006 12:11 PM
I have a questions on this one also as I have never planted winter crops. I am in zone 8. Is it too late to start things and should I be starting them inside to put outside later and if so when? What things should I direct sow and again when? Lots of questions as this would be a first time thing for me.

I currently have carrots and brussels sprouts on hand but would not mind a few other things on the lists above.

Thanks!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Bestofour on July 16, 2006 12:39 PM
Me to Triss. I'd like to winter sow some carrots, brussel sprouts, lettuce, cauliflower, but can't we get plants and put them directly in the ground? Problem is, I never see any plants around here in August and September.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Triss on July 16, 2006 01:47 PM
I have not even looked for plants but am willing to try from seed and see what happens. Will have to look and see next time I hit the store if they have actual plants there.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by markr on July 16, 2006 01:58 PM
ive just sown cauliflower, broccoli, and spring cabbage.
good job because my summer veg has been bad this year [Eek!]

-
Mark
by Deborah L. on July 16, 2006 03:06 PM
Markr, did you get any potatoes?
I remember we were talking about new potatoes.
Or is it not yet time for a potato harvest?
I'm going to do potatoes in a barrel next year, following the tips I've read here.

-
 -
by markr on July 17, 2006 01:00 AM
good memory!
yes the early potatoes did well, weve been eating them for about a month now.
the maincrop well so many gaps, maybe slugs [dunno]
when i planted them they all had sprouts on...
container planted spuds do well for me, i like to put them in buckets real early, then place them in the greenhouse.
did you do any this year?

-
Mark
by Amigatec on July 17, 2006 03:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
Me to Triss. I'd like to winter sow some carrots, brussel sprouts, lettuce, cauliflower, but can't we get plants and put them directly in the ground? Problem is, I never see any plants around here in August and September.
I had that problem last year, this year I bought all the seed I thought I might need for this year. So I should have ,ore than enough to last until next spring.

-
 -
by Bestofour on July 17, 2006 03:15 PM
Pat, so are you saying to plant seeds rather than try to find plants?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Deborah L. on July 17, 2006 03:56 PM
Mark, not yet, I'm going to try next year.
So you got a good crop then, that's great !
Let me guess, just good butter and a sprinkle of salt? Me too ! [Wink]

-
 -
by markr on July 18, 2006 01:17 AM
How did you remember??? [Roll Eyes]
now ive got to dig more for dinner!!!

-
Mark
by Deborah L. on July 18, 2006 05:15 AM
If it's about potatoes, I'll remember ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by chatonnoir on July 18, 2006 07:40 AM
Hey guys lots of great tips and ideas thanks for all the input and let me know about starting from seed.
by Amigatec on July 18, 2006 10:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
Pat, so are you saying to plant seeds rather than try to find plants?
It may be easier, most greenhouses are out of plants now. My FIL can get me some plants for the winter crop.

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 18, 2006 11:01 AM
Yes definitely seeds. And if you want to do any early indoor planting for next year get the seeds before the middle of september because some years they disappear. Really upsetting when that happens. I got caught in that the year before last. I was so (insert pout greamlin here please).

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 22, 2006 05:24 AM
Woohoo, I planted 15 lettuce seeds today. I choose to plant the ones I got from cj15. I hope they do well. I think I'll do a different kind next week, and still a different kind the week after that. I have several different kinds to choose from. And now I'm excited to see if I can get them to grow. I've had a very difficult time with lettuce up to now.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Winter climbers| Next thread: Winter Garden questions »
Back to Thread index