The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Two questions: Tomato leaves curling and Pumpkin shoots/leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Powderhunter on July 08, 2006 04:39 PM
Hey all, quick few questions...My GF's mom has some tomato plants that have their leaves curling on her...from the bottom to the top of the plant. I have a few bottom sections of my tomatoes curling, but overall they look healthy. What causes leaves to curl like that, and what are some precautionary measures that she can take in case this is a sign of something bad?

I'm also wondering about my two pumpkin plants. They are taking OVER MY GARDEN! I'll post some pics soon...but they are going crazy. Can I prune some of the shoots? Will that hurt the plant overall? I've grown pumpkins before, but never in a semi-confined space.

Your tips, hints and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick
by Longy on July 08, 2006 10:07 PM
Your tomatoes leaves may be curling because of too much fertilizer.
It's OK to prune your pumpkins. Tip prune the main growths and the side shoots will take over. It's supposed to help make more female flowers too.

-
The secret is the soil.
by MrClint on July 09, 2006 06:14 AM
I've been lead to believe that leaf curling on tomatoes is pretty common. Some tomato varieties are more susceptible than others. It's typically nothing to get in a panic over. For the most part it has do with the plant's ability to regulate water.

To my knowledge there is nothing that you can do to prevent leaf curling other than try and provide a consistent amount of water.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Danno on July 09, 2006 07:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MrClint:

To my knowledge there is nothing that you can do to prevent leaf curling other than try and provide a consistent amount of water.

BIG DITTO on that one! I found this out on my tomato plants. Though i did prune off some of the leaves on my tomatos cuz they was growing into eachother. . . thats when they started curling. it doesnt appear to be harming hte plant at all. . but a lil more care in watering reduces the curling and the time they stay curled too [thumb] Just dont overwater. . . i dont even water them really hard. . just been keeping the soil moist every day. Usually have to quick hit the ground about 2 times a day with the sprayer end of a hose.
by elkwc36 on July 09, 2006 08:37 AM
Stress can also cause it. I had some of that this year. There was a quoter on another thread that came from Dr. Carolyn Male that is good on the curling of leaves and the causes. JD
by MrClint on July 09, 2006 11:42 AM
Here's a link that may be helpful:
Leaf Roll on Tomatoes

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Powderhunter on July 10, 2006 03:28 PM
Thanks so much for the info on the leaf curling, much appreciated.

However, I need to know what I can do to settle down these pumpkins. I love that they are going so well, but as you will see from these pictures, they are taking over everything. How can I prune them, and in what way? The main shoots? Offshoots? I just don't want to kill the plants, they're doing SO well. Your input is again appreciated.

-

-

-
by Longy on July 10, 2006 09:54 PM
Prune them however you want. You won't harm them. You may also like to send a few shoots up the fence. That way they can go berko. Those ones heading for the tomatoes, just guide them between the tommies and up the fence. Any other shoots you don't want just remove them.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on July 11, 2006 02:33 AM
Wow! Yup, that's how pumpkin vines behave, lol. You might try to lead the ends of the vines through the fence so they continue growing outside the garden. The plants may have rooted along the vines, but you can just pull them up.

Good looking tomato plants btw. I see you use concrete mesh cages.

John - Zone 6
by Fourmother on July 11, 2006 03:50 AM
I'm so glad someone posted this question. I'll be prunning my pumpkins today! BTW, can I prune my watermelon and honeydew vines the same way?
by woodchuck on July 11, 2006 05:50 AM
I like the little pruner in the puddle, just like one of mine.
by Longy on July 11, 2006 10:29 AM
can I prune my watermelon and honeydew vines the same way?
++++++++++++
Yes. Go for it.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Fourmother on July 11, 2006 02:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Longy:
can I prune my watermelon and honeydew vines the same way?
++++++++++++
Yes. Go for it.

Thanks Longy!
by chenno on July 12, 2006 01:09 PM
Great garden you have there!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by weezie13 on July 12, 2006 04:32 PM
Great lookin' garden you have there....
Nice 'n Healthy for sure...

*is there any chance you can resize your photo??
Some of our members are still on dial~up and/or have older/slower computers and down loading such a large picture, sometimes takes a long time or sometimes even, not all...
Our regular picture size is 640 x 480.....
Thanksssssss bunches..*

And keep us posted on that awesome garden of yours, we love updates..
*P/S I was just reading an old post of yours about composting and pulled it up... wondering how it was coming along*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Powderhunter on July 13, 2006 03:19 PM
Thanks so much for the compliments. While I haven't tasted the fruits of my labor, they are growing well.

It's rather satisfying as my garden was a disaster last year. The soil where my garden sits is pure clay. Not just hard dirt, but like cement.

So this year I tilled in lots of leaves, grass clippings and soil. Even better than that I then dug holes for every plant. The wholes were 2 feet deep, by 2.5 feet wide. I then put my topsoil and some Miracle grow soil in there. I wasn't taking any chances this year.

I will try and resize any further pictures...sorry about that. I'll definately post future pics too. Thanks again.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: