The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

strawberries & when to plant. . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Danno on July 08, 2006 04:32 AM
I know i asked this a month ago. . i've been extremely busy to do anything but work & come home & nose around in my garden. . .

Is it too late to plant a strawberry bush for next year? (already july 4th [Frown] )
by johnCT on July 08, 2006 07:24 AM
It's not too late Danno, but you may not get a great harvest next year if they are junebearers. It will be tough for them to get established in the summer heat.

John - Zone 6
by Danno on July 08, 2006 07:41 AM
yah thats what i was afraid of [Frown] What if i plant them in the early spring of this next year? Or (hope this dont sound stupid) start them indoors and xplant them?
by Amigatec on July 08, 2006 09:19 AM
I planted mine in July or August of last year.

I got a few berries, but this year they really took off.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Danno on July 08, 2006 04:08 PM
good to know amiga! I'm headed to the store in teh morning for some plants [Smile] In meantime i'll be reading the best way to grow em thnx guys
by weezie13 on July 09, 2006 03:35 AM
Yep, I'd plant them now...
That way they can get established for next year to produce..

I do transplant mine, all thru summer..

And Strawberries are pretty hardy..
I had some over winter in a 6 pack container
one year here in a growing zone 5...
They're pretty tough..

The only tricky part about growing strawberries is
NOT TO PLANT THEM TOOOOOOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEP!!!!
They like to be half in and half out....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by buzylady on July 09, 2006 04:00 AM
I planted a few strawberry plants in a pot this spring. Hoping to have berries for when my granddaughter came for fathers day. Now it is July 8 and still no berries. What did/or didn't I do? Will they still berry up? I'll take the pot in for winter, will they berry next yr.?
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by Amigatec on July 09, 2006 07:10 AM
Mine produced a few berries last year, I didn't pick 'em, but this year they did real good.

The bed I built is 4 by 8 feet, I added 200# of sand and 200# of cow manure compost, this raised the bed about 2", I buried a soaker hose in bed, and water every day.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Danno on July 09, 2006 07:29 AM
oh sh!t lol I hope i got enuff dirt for mine.. . i had to tak ea break while my brother is on his way over to help me build my strawberry bed. its 3'x6'and i got only 400# of topsoil/manure mixed. Oh its 12" deep.

Anywho. . question for you weezie:
quote:
NOT TO PLANT THEM TOOOOOOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEP!!!!
I saw some from the store i baught these strawberries at that had their roots AND the stalks showing. Its almost like they were planted sideways and the roots continued down and stalks upward ????? Going off this one website i found in a link on this forums. . heres a pic of the CORRECT way to bury them?? Info plz!! [grin]

-

This is correct right?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: