The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Runner beans

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: rumtopf| Next thread: Runner beans not developing »
Back to Thread index
by lakegran on July 07, 2006 08:50 AM
I need help again [Confused]
I find I have a new empty row in my garden, I would like to plant some white runner beans that I bought on a whim. I got them from a bin at my local feed store and do not have planting instructions. can I plant them like a bush bean or are they more like a pole bean? I googled but don't see planting instructions. I have the ground turned and the beans soaking. [wavey] Thanks in advance

-
by Longy on July 07, 2006 11:20 AM
There are some dwarf varieties available but they generally require a trellis to 2 metres high.
Just bury them the same depth as the size of the seed. So if the seeds are 1/2" thick, then bury them 1/2" below the surface. This is a good rule of thumb for most seeds. About 4" apart should be OK.
They like a sweet soil, so if your soil is a little acidic, a dressing of dolomite before planting will help with a good crop. They are also partial to a dressing of bonemeal dug into the soil before planting.

-
The secret is the soil.
by lakegran on July 12, 2006 11:10 PM
Thanks Longy, I missed this post until now. I am not spending much time on the 'puter these days, luckily my garden is doing well and keeping me occupied. I pretty much did as you suggested, except for the bonemeal, I found a little trellis at a yard sale and put it up sideways ( so it is about 2 and 1/2 feet tall) Looks a little 'country' but the green will soon cover it I hope. My little 12 X 14 is a glorious hodgepodge. [flower] [clappy]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rumtopf| Next thread: Runner beans not developing »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: