The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pepper plant problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Ms Sarah on July 07, 2006 02:54 AM
i have started my first garden this year and all of my plants are growing AWESOME except for my pepper plants. I have squash, zucchini and tomatoes and are growing like crazy and then my pepper plant that is about 5-6 inches tall. all the others are starting to produce veggies but this one. the leaves look "eaten" up, brown around the edges but some of the leaves are still green. my mom said to just let it go and water it and see how it does. could this plant be getting attached by a bug? or is it just a bad plant? this is a bell pepper plant as well. it is not very close to the other plants but it is still in the same garden.
Also, should i maybe try some Sevin Dust?
Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

Sarah
by johnCT on July 07, 2006 03:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ms Sarah:
Also, should i maybe try some Sevin Dust?
I wouldn't use the stuff in the veggie garden Sarah. Especially since you haven't yet identified the culprits. It is toxic to most insects including bees and also birds and fish.

How long has the plant been in the ground? How's the sunlight on it? You said it's not near the other plants. Can you post a picture of it?

John - Zone 6
by Ms Sarah on July 07, 2006 04:51 AM
I do have the plants by the house in very good sunlight (direct) My garden is not that large (since this is my first one) so the peppers (just one plant) is maybe 2-3 feet from the squash? I will post a picture soon, I am at work now.
Thanks!
Sarah

Sarah
by badplanter on July 07, 2006 08:38 AM
my pepper plant is having the same problem,only it is about the normal hieght. Nothing is growing--flowers, but they won't seem to grow into fruits. My leaves are browing too. Try fertilizing it(i use miracle-grow, and it works prefect for me) if you happen to find an answer to why this is happening, please let me know--until then, good luck! and happy planting! [Wink]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 09:36 AM
JohnCT is spot on with his advice. Never treat what you can't ID. Do check for aphids and other sucking bugs.

Make sure the pepper is getting lots of hot, full sun. You may also be killing it with kindness. It's pretty normal to give too much water or too much fertilizer because it can be hard to tell exactly how much they really need. I suggest backing way off on water and do not add any more fertilizer. Stress the plant a little so that it begins its reproductive process instead of continuing with its vegetative state.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by DeepCreekLake on July 07, 2006 10:39 AM
Once a plant gets big back off fertilzer that ephasize Nitrogen - go to one that is higher in Potassium (the middle number in Fertilzer ratings)as this is what causes blooms! Miracle grow is pretty high on nitrogen- unless its the tomato formula, then its high on potassium, which is the main difference between that and regular Miracle grow. I have 175 hot pepper plants in my garden- alot of them are blooming very heavy- esp cayennes, and Jalapenos. Temps also play a factor on flowering.
by Longy on July 07, 2006 11:11 AM
go to one that is higher in Potassium (the middle number in Fertilzer ratings
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I agree that a lack of potassium may be the problem with the lack of flowering and fruiting,(but the number is 3rd on the NPK list on the pack) but it doesn't explain why it is still a small/stunted plant,

Capsicum (bell pepper) also require excellent drainage, so it may be that the other plants are a little more tolerant of the conditions. Is it possible that the soil is slightly heavier where the pepper is planted?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Ms Sarah on July 07, 2006 01:59 PM
I took some pictures of my poor pepper plant. We have had a LOT of rain lately (I live in NC) along with HOT temps so I have been leaving the plants alone as to not over do it. The pictures are close up, the plant is less than 6 inches tall. I just don't understand why my pepper plant is the only one suffering while my others are doing great. I hope these show a better picture!

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ba07c6z82afcfc4/e1b0re2/__sr_/d673re2.jpg?ph4XbrEBexfZXuVG

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ba07c6z82afcfc4/e1b0re2/__sr_/ef49re2.jpg?ph4XbrEBk_z8FKy7

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ba07c6z82afcfc4/e1b0re2/__sr_/29d2re2.jpg?ph4XbrEBUBMpYxfS

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ba07c6z82afcfc4/e1b0re2/__sr_/d673re2.jpg?ph4XbrEBexfZXuVG

Sarah
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 03:44 PM
Sarah, I don't think Yahoo allows remote linking. Perhaps our board ops have some web space you can use?

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Mitzi on July 07, 2006 06:15 PM
I couldn't get the pics either, but I had a similar problem with my bell pepper plants. I was watering too much and I ended up with withering leaves and brown and black spots. I ended up with Blossom End Rot. My peppers would grow and look fine until they were about ripe and the bottom of the fruit would mold and rot. I backed way off of the water and switched to Miracle Grow for Tomatoes (very sparingly on the fertilizer). I now have new fruit growing at a pace that I can barely keep up with (what a problem to have, huh). I also got a moisture meter from Walmart for $5 to help me from watering too much...I am not a moderator in this forum just someone with a similar problem. However, I have posted many times and the advice I have been given has so far been spot on... Good luck..,
by Ms Sarah on July 08, 2006 03:11 AM
I was able to post pictures on other topics, could there be some reason why not? If not I have gotten a lot of good advice, I am going to watch the plant closely, there are still a lot of green on the plant so maybe there is hope! [flower]

Thanks!

Sarah

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: