The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

still confused about raspberry pruning

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Rob B. on July 05, 2006 08:54 AM
I have both summer-bearing and everbearing varieties in my garden, and I want to make sure I prune them correctly.

For my summer-bearing varieties (Indian Summer, Latham), the 1st-year canes don't produce fruit, so the only thing I should do is cut the 2nd-year canes to the ground in the fall or winter.

For my everbearing variety (Fall Gold), the 1st-year canes bear fruit on the tips in the fall, while the 2nd-year canes bear fruit lower down during the following summer. So I need to cut the tips off the 1st-year canes in the winter and cut the 2nd-year canes to the ground after they produce, in the fall.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
by obywan59 on July 05, 2006 06:01 PM
According to planting and care instructions from Nourse Farms, to get 2 crops on your everbearing raspberries, simply prune as you would your summer bearers.

I've tried that, but I've found that for me I get a much better quality crop with larger fruits from the fall crop, so I simply cut all the canes to the ground each winter so that all the energy goes into the first year canes and into the fall crop of berries.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Rob B. on July 06, 2006 05:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by obywan59: According to planting and care instructions from Nourse Farms, to get 2 crops on your everbearing raspberries, simply prune as you would your summer bearers.
You mean leave the 1st-year canes alone and cut them down after the 2nd year? I thought it helped to cut off the tops of the 1st-year canes, to help fruit production in the 2nd year.

quote:
I've tried that, but I've found that for me I get a much better quality crop with larger fruits from the fall crop, so I simply cut all the canes to the ground each winter so that all the energy goes into the first year canes and into the fall crop of berries. [/QB]
Wow, that's a bit scary. I noticed fruit on only some of my 1st-year canes last fall.

Thanks,
Rob
by obywan59 on July 07, 2006 07:16 AM
quote:
You mean leave the 1st-year canes alone and cut them down after the 2nd year? I thought it helped to cut off the tops of the 1st-year canes, to help fruit production in the 2nd year.

The canes that are too tall, I top in winter, back to just above my top wire, otherwise I just leave them alone.

I just picked my first couple of Tulameen raspberries. YUM! The tallest stems of my Honeyqueen are approaching 6 feet (these are the ones I pruned completely back to the ground) and are starting to form buds and flowers. A few have already set fruit. It looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop [thumb]

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: