The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pachysandra help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
Pages: 3 2 1
by klabold on May 19, 2004 03:56 AM
I am a complete novice when it comes to planting anything but I want to plant some pachysandra along a hill near my house so I am here for some advice.

I have pachysandra growing currently all over my beds. If I want to take some of this thick pachysandra and plant it in a newly cleared out hill, how would I go about doing this?

Or, is it best to just buy new pachysandra and plant on the hill.

If I plant the pachysandra at the top of the hill about 1 foot apart, will it spread down and out so it covers? How long does this take?

Any information is welcome!
Thanks for reading.

Kim [dunno]
by obywan59 on May 19, 2004 07:46 AM
You could dig out clumps of pachysandra with a shovel and plant them as is or you could divide them and plant individual shoots. The clumps would probably fill in the fastest.

I would guess maybe several years before they would fill in, depending on which method and how much watering and fertlization.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by sibyl on May 19, 2004 08:03 AM
kim i dont know much about pachysandra, the only thing i could find is {pachysandra terminalis} is good for shady slopes. [Embarrassed] sorry couldnt help with your plant. is your hill very steep? when planting on a hill build temporary terraces before you plant.long flat boards anchored behind 2 foot spikes driven partly into the ground. this will hold the soil in place so your plants can take a better root in the ground, and dont end up being washed down the hill.you can take the terraces out in a year or two, when your plants are well rooted. hope this helps ya some [Wink] sibyl

-
 -
by sibyl on May 21, 2004 08:32 AM
found your pachysandra in michiganbulb.com! saya its a spring bloomer, so you might want to waite till after spring & all blooms died off before you dig it up & move it to your hill,
[Wink] sibyl

-
 -
by klabold on May 23, 2004 05:31 AM
Thanks for the tips. I just got a tool from my grandfather that will help me till the hill and then I'll look into pachysandra at the local nursery and see how much it costs. If it's too much, I'll wait and dig some of my abundant growth plants myself.

Kim
by sibyl on May 24, 2004 05:20 AM
good luck [thumb] sibyl

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: