The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fall Fling Seed Exchange Part III

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 3 2 1
by tkhooper on October 22, 2006 06:57 AM
Here we go again. I hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am.

-
 -
by kennyso on October 22, 2006 07:33 AM
I'm keeping up with this thread so I don't miss anything. This wait is building anticipation! How many people have joined the swap so far?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by kennyso on October 22, 2006 07:50 AM
forgot to ask, re: the number of posts Just outta curosity, do you start a new thread after 100 posts or do you just start one when you feel that there's too much info? I've just noticed, I'm sort of the 'curosity killed the cat, but not me so I'll just ask whatever I can think of' type of guy

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by loz on October 22, 2006 07:57 AM
We try to lock up the posts around 100 to keep things running well! [Smile]

Tammy I can't wait to see what I get back, it feels like Christmas! [Big Grin]

I wonder how many packs people will have sent in all together! Probably a heck of a lot!
by tkhooper on October 22, 2006 09:55 AM
It will probably be over 1000. Or at least that'w what I'm guessing at this point. There are around 25 members so far but until the envelopes actually arrive it's hard to tell. Right now most of the packets that have arrive are about 1/2 filled with their new seeds. Some of the smaller orders are almost full and some have already been sent out. We have a wonderful selection of plants so far. And that's made it pretty easy. The only thing I have to many of are Mammoth Sunflowers and Zinnias. But they are both great flowers so I'm sure noone will mind getting some.

-
 -
by kennyso on October 22, 2006 10:06 AM
I can take some mammoth sunflowers, I have a habit of putting a little extra with my trades (I forget occassionally, so sorry to those who did not get extras)and I think sunflower seeds might be a good little something extra to give, especially if they have little children (besides, I could always let my brother plant them!)

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Bestofour on October 22, 2006 10:22 AM
I love them both Tammy!! I'll be requesting both of those.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by comfrey on October 22, 2006 10:47 AM
Tammy...you are taking care of it and I am sure everyone will love what they get, and even if its something they think they don't want to grow, they can give to someone else or trade it to someone. Last year all my seeds I got were very good, but I couldn't plant all of them, so when I traded seeds with someone I would throw in one of these packs as a surprise and everyone loved getting that surprise packet.

-
 -
by sibyl on October 22, 2006 01:49 PM
Tammy.did any one send in love-lies-bleedind? cause i can send in a 10 packets, i was cleaning up the dead clomes/giant zinnias, and they coverd up a love-lies-bleeding protected it from the freeze, i also wasnt shure about the yacca seeds,i have them too if you think anyone would want any.
also i wouldnt mind having more zinnias/sunflowers. [flower]

-
 -
by cancolgirl on October 22, 2006 03:55 PM
sibyl I'll put in my wish list yucaa seeds and love-lies-bleeding, so if your sending them in they'll come to a good home. That is once I send mine in. I will work on puttting the rest of my packets together tomorrow as well. I'm very excited as this is my first time in an exchg this big.

Word of the day
jovial \JOH-vee-uhl\, adjective:
Merry; joyous; jolly; characterized by mirth or jollity.
by tkhooper on October 22, 2006 08:08 PM
Love lies bleeding is the same thing as amaranthus isn't it? If so there are a few packets in the exchange they are the purple miniature kind. I'm sure more would be welcome. Noone has sent in Yucca seeds so far but as you can see there is an interest.

-
 -
by Bestofour on October 23, 2006 05:33 AM
is this just for flowers or vegetable seeds too? Also, I think I read somewhere that we need to put in 20 seeds. When I do a cone flower I send the entire head. Is this going to work. I don't like getting my fingers stuck trying to separate those seeds.

-
 -
by kennyso on October 23, 2006 05:42 AM
Sheri, yes the first thread did say to include at least 20 seeds (corret me if I'm wrong) so that no one would feel ripped off. For cosmos, I was going to seperate the seeds from the chaff and I sighed because it took so long and blew everything back together, and then I was like ,heck I'll just put everything in. I'm sure it's ok to put in the whole seed head in! I think any type of seed would work to be honest!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Bestofour on October 23, 2006 06:10 AM
Maybe I'll get your cosmos kenny. I didn't include black eyed susans in my stuff because I can't get the chaff out. I don't mind getting seeds like that but maybe some people do. The messy seeds grow just as well - maybe better. [Smile]

-
 -
by loz on October 23, 2006 06:58 AM
Sheri, I put some cosmos sensation mix in the seeds I sent in. [wavey]
by Bestofour on October 23, 2006 07:01 AM
Oh boy!

TK, I'm mailing out my package tomorrow, Monday, the 23rd.

-
 -
by tcmers on October 23, 2006 07:45 AM
I make sure there's plenty of seed, but anyone getting seed that I sent in (or in any trade with me, for that matter) will likely get some chafe too!
by Bestofour on October 23, 2006 08:08 AM
Good. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Have you ever gotten seeds from Tammy? She is the best at cleaning seeds. Not one speck of dirt or left over flower. I don't know how she does it.

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 23, 2006 08:46 AM
You all are so funny. There is plenty of chaf in my packets. You should of seen me with the cinnamon basil. Those little suckers are so sticky they just will not separate from their pods worth a darn.

Veggies are great additions to the fall fling so are herbs.

We just draw the line at bulbs and cuttings lol. As long as it's a seed and isn't a weed your in good shape.

And yes we would like a minimum of 20 seeds per package. Although if it is a tree or bush fewer probably will be ok with most members. But try to think how you would feel if you received the packet and there weren't the 20 seeds you were expecting to get. That's the best way to make that decision I think.

Hey Sheri, I'll look forward to getting your package.

Kennyso I got your jobs tears to roflol and when I get their seeds in I'll get you your cypress vine.

Everyone is doing a great job and making my job very easy. Thankyou so much for participating.

-
 -
by kennyso on October 23, 2006 09:38 AM
tk, thanks so much for helping us out with our trade! wanted to let you know I REALLY appreciate it :hugs:!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by roflol on October 23, 2006 10:48 AM
^^^ ditto ditto ditto Tammy, consider yourself big ol' Missouri bear-hugged! [Love]

BTW, bestofour, I put in some coneflower heads too... getting stuck wasn't the issue for me (I haven't been), it was the fact that when I've received coneflower seed it doesn't look like what I thought the seed was, so figured if I put the whole head in there whoever got it would be sure to get the seed that way!

My seeds went out yesterday - fly little seeds, fly like the wind! lol [grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 23, 2006 10:59 AM
quote:
fly little seeds, fly like the wind!
That's exactly what mine did today...when I had seeds on the table and Lola did a "fly over".

Now they are in the vacuum cleaner canister. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by bibee on October 23, 2006 11:04 AM
TK

I put in some palm tree seeds. There was only 10 seeds per pack. So i put 4or6 packs in my package u can give out 1 pack or 2 packs in a trade. U do as u
need with the seeds.

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by tkhooper on October 23, 2006 09:39 PM
I think 10 palm tree seeds are probably a fine trade. I'm not sure you would want much more than that anyway. Thankyou for adding them to your package. It's always great to get tropical plants in a trade.

Cindy, tell Lola I was looking forward to those seeds lol.

Roflol & Kennyso your very welcome. Glad I could help.

Kennyso, Lorena & LandofOz your packages went out in the mail today. Kennyso I'll send the cypress vine to you in your second shipment. I didn't want you to have to wait on your first shipment for just one packet of seeds. I know I always get excited and waiting is very hard.

The envelopes with close to 100 seed packets take longer to fill than the little ones but they are rapidly filling as well. And we are very much on time I believe.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 23, 2006 10:35 PM
WOW! [clappy] [flower] [grin] [thumb] [kissies] [Big Grin] I'm so excited!! I can't wait to get the package, Tammy! I love you! [Love] [Love] If anyone needs me, I'll be the woman sitting next to the mailbox, freezing her bum off!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on October 23, 2006 10:40 PM
rofling. That caught me by suprise lol. Sounds like I should have sent you an electric blanket and a very long extention cord before I send you your envelope lol. I hope it arrives very soon. I'm thinking the postoffice is really trying to expidite any packages moving now so there isn't a back log when the christmas rush begins. Of course I could be wrong. But it seems like I'm getting everyones packages quickly.

-
 -
by Bestofour on October 24, 2006 01:00 AM
I just got back from the post office so hopefully you'll get my package tomorrow or surely by Wednesday.

-
 -
by Triss on October 24, 2006 02:27 AM
Tammy, you are amazing. Just reading the weekends posts and it is great to see you are getting so many seeds and already have packages being sent back. VERY cool!!! My package should go out this week. It will be one of the easy to fill ones!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on October 24, 2006 03:15 AM
I look forward to seeding both of your envelopes arrive. This is so much fun. One of the church ladies was over earlier and we were discussing the exchange and how I have it organized. She does the same thing for one of the clubs she belongs to although with stationary rather than seeds. I wish I were artistic enough to do something like that but I'm not. So I'm glad I found gardening.

-
 -
by comfrey on October 24, 2006 03:48 AM
Guess what I got in the mail????? I got my seeds from Tammy already and alot of wonderful choices Tammy!!!!!! Thanks! [clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
by kennyso on October 24, 2006 05:23 AM
CAn't wait for them Tammy! I thought this was such a good idea that I decided to organize a swap similar to this on another forum and let me tell all you who thinks Tammy's job is easy....it's not! OMg, it's such hard work, and if you loose your organization you're busted big time! It's really overwhelming, and it certain is exciting getting to see what everyone send in!Tammy, thanks so much for doing this. [kissies] [muggs] [Love]

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Kratz7 on October 24, 2006 07:20 AM
Hi therre,

I agree Tammy has to have a "HUGE JOB" on her hands.

Tammy you have to be an organized angel to be able to keep the fall fling in line and to have the patience to do it...

I Say three cheers for Tammy....

hip hip hooray, hip hip hoora, hip hip hooray to you Tammy!
Cheers,
Thanks Again,
 -
 -
 -  -  -

Kratz7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by melcon6 on October 24, 2006 07:40 AM
Is it too late to send seeds? I've never done this before, but I think I will have some ready to go in a couple days.

How do I know what to ask for? Is there a master list of what is available?

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by afgreyparrot on October 24, 2006 10:22 AM
Mel...here's the swap info...

quote:
The following is from tkhooper:

RULES
1. Please try to put at least 20 seeds per pack.
Send a pack of seeds that you would be happy receiving!
2. Mail your seeds no later than October 27th.
3. Send a wishlist of the seed you would like with the understanding that I'll do my best but can't guarantee that you will get what you hope for.
4. Send a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope) with your seeds. Please make sure you have enough return postage on the envelope.
5. Please limit the maximum number of seed packs per envelope to 100. Multiple mailings are ok!
6. I will do my best to get your seeds to you by Thanksgiving.

The following is from me:
NOTICE! All seed packs will be cataloged.
If you send weed seeds we will be able to track who they came from, and you will be banned from participating in future seed swaps, and your name will be posted in the Seed Exchange forum as a "risk"!

If you'd like to participate in this Swap, please PM Tammy (tkhooper) for her address to mail your seeds.

Looks like you have 4 more days to get your seeds in the mail!

[flower]

quote:
How do I know what to ask for? Is there a master list of what is available?

If there is anything you can think of that you are wanting, just put a note in with the seeds. It all depends on what everyone sends in...she may not even get what you put on your "want list"...but you won't be disappointed with whatever you get. It's a lot of fun!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by melcon6 on October 24, 2006 11:14 AM
Okay, Thanks for answering my question , I just got to your answer after answering it myself~! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I just re-read all three "Fall Fling" topics. [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

So, I guess I just need some idea of what's available, maybe anyone that wants to can pm me with what you have sent in? I have no idea what to ask for , but after reading all the posts it's helpful because then I say [thinker] Oh yeah, I would love zinnias! AND cleome, and hycinth bean (if any come in)

Me, I'm sending lots of wonder egg seeds, cosmos (mixed pinks) and a few seashell cosmos, black eyed susan, datura (white), purple coneflower, liatris, sweet william, MG's (dk blue w/pink throat), blue balloon flower, dill, and more.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by PartyGirl on October 24, 2006 01:19 PM
Tammy, I sent my package out today and you should have it on Thursday. If not, I have a confirmation number and can follow it that way.

Thanks for hosting!!

PG
by njoynit on October 24, 2006 06:54 PM
I got my package ready& am going to town today.I've lost the address.I know I wrote it on a Ace Hardware sales ad.someone help me out here...............ANYONE can PM me the addy.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by tkhooper on October 24, 2006 07:30 PM
Oh no! I just finished this huge post answering everyones questions and then I stopped to e-mail my address and the post disappeared. I think I'm going to cry. I didn't know it would do that.

Hi Kennyso, I've got over 25 years of experience working in distribution points and offices so this isn't hard for me to do. Especially since I live alone and can spread out with out worrying about having things moved. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time with yours. Hopefully it will all work out for you.

Hey PartyGirl, I look forward to receiving your package.

Hey Njoynit, I send you a pm. Hopefully in time for you to get your package in the mail today.

It's time to go volunteer at the Family History Center. I'll see you all this afternoon.

-
 -
by njoynit on October 24, 2006 07:39 PM
I've sent in some gourds,october rose hibiscus,autuam beauty sunflower, a few JMG seeds& veggies.Canna seeds(hey they bloom 1st year!)Castor beans,dantra.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

by sibyl on October 24, 2006 10:14 PM
Comfry got her seeds already!!!! im dying to know what all she got!
Tammy
ill be mailing out the stamps thursday, also my love lies bleeding arnt little purple flowers, they are about 3-4 feet tall with long red tassles. i gave seeds to my boss last year and his got 6 feet tall![id like to know what he got in his soil!]ill wright lond red tassles on the packages. ill send in some yaccas too.

-
 -
by sibyl on October 25, 2006 01:00 AM
its me again!
i got more pink/purple clomes,,cosmos bright lights,,calendulcas,,four-o-clocks,,and phlox if you want any more of those i could send more in. [Wink]

-
 -
by cancolgirl on October 25, 2006 07:10 AM
Tammy, I finally got around to sending my seeds out today. Didn't want to miss the deadline, just to let u know I forgot to put the stamps inside the envelope where all the seed packets are in. So please be careful when u open the package because the stamps are in the outer envelope. It was funny because I couldn't decide which ones to send. So the guy at the PO kept on asking me if I was ready. I also wasn't able to get as many out as I had hoped. It's my first year gardening so I didn't have much. But wait 'til next year.

I did send in Veggie seeds (tomato, carrot, pepper) as well as flowers.

Word of the day
jovial \JOH-vee-uhl\, adjective:
Merry; joyous; jolly; characterized by mirth or jollity.
by tkhooper on October 25, 2006 08:44 AM
Hey Angelblossom,

I got your envelope today. I haven't had a chance to look at it but I'll get right on it tomorrow.

Hey njoynit,

Thankyou for sending them in. I'm kind of tired tonight so I can't really think of anything to say. But I promise to do better tomorrow.

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 25, 2006 07:37 PM
Hi Cancolgirl, I look forward to getting your package. I know just what you mean about not being able to send in to many the first time. That happened to me to. But I've maxed out at least one envelope ever since. Not that, that's been to long because I've only been gardening a short period of time.

Sibyl, I think we are ok on those types of seeds. But thankyou for your generoucity in being willing to send in additional packets.

Angelblossom, I was able to fill your envelope first thing this morning. Thankyou for sending such great seeds. I hope you like what I was able to send you back.

Everyone, I'm alittle behind on getting everyones packets up to date. Yesterday wiped me out. But I've got my energy back so hopefully today I'll catch up with them.

-
 -
by njoynit on October 25, 2006 08:12 PM
They have shipped off and should arrive soon.I also have to send more postage to you.I was down to rolled change by time I was at PO.I also don't think that gal liked me re useing my envelope.she was makeing everyone wait while she peeled old stuff off the envelope(like you can't stick postage on top of postage)she peeled my fragile sticker off after told her it was seeds& my thank you sticker too.Guess i'm lucky she didn't peel your address label!Its a priorty postage lable trimmed to be white.

-
 -

by tkhooper on October 25, 2006 09:09 PM
Ok I'm pretty much caught up. Only completed Angelblossoms envelope but the others are comming along. One of the liabilities of sending in full envelopes is that you pretty much have to wait until everything arrives in order to fill yours. But it also means that you pretty much get one of everything too. So it probably works out even either way.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 25, 2006 09:48 PM
Okay, my obedient plant is finally ready for harvesting. I have been waiting for the plant to get brown and "crunchy" however, I recently noticed little black things all over my sidewalk, next to my plants--they're dropping seeds! So, would you like me to send some in, Tammy, or not? If you've got a ton then I won't send you more! [Big Grin]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on October 25, 2006 11:15 PM
LandofOz, I don't have any obedient plant so if you can spare about 5 to 10 packages that would be great. You are so sweet to ask.

Maja24, Believe it or not your package is winging it's way back to you. The postal carrier said it shouldn't take more than a week to arrive. So it shouldn't be to long before you get it. I hope you are happy with the selections I made for you. I'm sorry that I didn't have anything from your wishlist.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 25, 2006 11:58 PM
I'll aim for getting you 10 packages--no promises though!! I'm hoping that I'll be getting your package today--it seems most package to and from here are taking about 2 days. I'm so excited!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Triss on October 26, 2006 01:04 AM
Tammy, My seeds are in the mail. Look out for a box rather than an envelope cuz I added a lil something for you. Everything else is inside and I even remembers to put stamps on my bubble envelope. Almost forgot that part.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: