The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lettuce trouble

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by badplanter on July 03, 2006 04:37 PM
Hi. I've been trying to grow lettuce for at least 3 years now, and all i try seems to fail. Nothing seems to work, i've tried everything possible. they dont seem to grow that well, when they should be full and mature, they are still very premature, almost as if they have been growing for 10 days, not 50. I don't know what to do. If someone here can help me,that'd be great. Thanks!!!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by chrissy fair on July 03, 2006 04:59 PM
Are they planted close together? Sometimes when they are TOO close to one another they tend to stunt the growth.
by chrissy fair on July 03, 2006 05:00 PM
What kind of lettuce is it?? and do you have any pictures of it we could see??
by ChristinaC on July 03, 2006 05:01 PM
All my lettuce does sooo much better in the shade. Perhaps too much sun?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on July 03, 2006 05:02 PM
Oh...and what about over fertilizing? I've never fertilized my lettuce. I actually pretty much ignore mine...until I pick it for dinner. [thumb]

-
 -
by chrissy fair on July 03, 2006 05:04 PM
If it was too much sun, I think it would wilt/rot turn brown. At least thats what I expierianced with mine when the temp got to 109 here a week ago....it's doing great now with temps in the mid to high 90's.

Badplanter, is it doing that too along with the stunted growth??
by badplanter on July 03, 2006 05:22 PM
nope, its not rotting at all, the leaves are a healthy green (or at least seem to be)and they are spaced about 8 inches apart--think thats enough? its in the sun early in the morning until about noon...ill try to get some pics on.

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Greenthumb newbee on July 03, 2006 05:23 PM
Lettuce should grow good where your from. How is your soil??? Did you plant the lettuce like grass seed?? On lettuce all you do is lay the seeds on the ground and cover them lightly with soil. Lettuce are VERY suceptible to weeds when they are young. It`s also good to plant by a bigger plant so as to shade them. Lettuce are best planted in spring and\or fall. Can take cold but not heat well. Hope this helps.
by johnCT on July 04, 2006 12:27 AM
It's gotta be the soil if they're not getting too much hot sun. Do you fertilize? What type of lettuce is it? When did you start the seed? 50 days ago?

In my experience, by this time of year lettuce has bolted because of the heat and long days. I normally start my lettuce seed indoors in mid-March and sow successive plantings once the soil thaws enough to be workable.

John - Zone 6
by badplanter on July 04, 2006 03:52 AM
ok! thanks everybody, for all your help!! i'm pretty sure it IS the soil, so now i have somewhere to work from! Thanks again!! See you all around the forum!

-
 -
by dodge on July 04, 2006 01:25 PM
i spray miracle grow on mine when I plant.. It is going great........I am on my 3rd batch of planting.. 3 days ago and mine are up.. The radishes also......

THey are cold weather crops.......i dont think bunching stalls them.. I use good compose also.

dodge [flower]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Greenthumb newbee on July 04, 2006 03:42 PM
Dodge...

Bunching them does not stall them but it does keep them from growing alot bigger.

Last year My wife took a package of lettuce seeds and put them in a line. We did`nt expect them to grow. We did it for giggles. 2 weeks later we saw them starting to come up. 2 weeks after that we had a 6 foot by 1 foot carpet of lettuce.

We had over 4 boxes of lettuce when we harvested them. Sold the whole lot at a farmers market.
by badplanter on July 04, 2006 05:23 PM
guys...i just wanna say thanks again for all your help--years of trouble solved in under 24 hours!!! i guess thats life for you. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by dodge on July 05, 2006 12:51 AM
greenthumb..........

I dont agree......Ours grows best bunched and scattered each supports the other.. Guess I will have to show you, but we eat it too fast.

Daily.......
Howeve ......to Each his own.
Happy 4th July.

dodge [thumb]

-
 -
by badplanter on July 06, 2006 01:37 PM
hey every1!! thanks for answering my questions--the other day I bought new soil for my lettuce and replanted whatever i could that i could "save". i also bought new heads of lettuce, and already i'm seeing major inprovement!!!! thanks again all, sssoo much! My lettuce lives!!!!!

-
 -
by dodge on July 06, 2006 02:28 PM
badplanter

You will have to change your name to goodplanter now...........;o)

Good luck..

dodge

-
 -
by Amigatec on July 06, 2006 02:35 PM
I always plant mine in a patch. Just scatter the seeds on top of the ground and water them in.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by dodge on July 06, 2006 02:54 PM
Amigatec,

Correct ........
I even planted lettuce last fall before it snowed, and it all came up this spring.. It was really good too.
Well we have winter.

dodge

-
 -
by Greenthumb newbee on July 08, 2006 09:17 PM
I did`nt plant ANY yet this year but I got 6 plants from last year. go figure. Heck, almost half my garden IS that way. Was too busy in spring to plant other then potatos, onions and green beans. A few tomatos as well.

I got the ground ready and ask my wife to plant but she was also too busy. :-( I AM planting now for fall with lettuce, carrots, more beans, peas, broc, cabbage, colliflower , spinach and brussle sprouts. Maybe some herbs.
by dodge on July 09, 2006 02:28 AM
Hey ......good for you....You can do that and eat till snow flys..... We do

We been to Iowa 8 or 9 times ..My man is a great fan of your corn farmers.........
Been tru keoluk, Iowa.....I actually have a Library card for the Waverly Library..In Waverly , Iowa......I go there and use the computers for mail to home..ha ha
Nice.....Grotto Of Redemption is so beautiful out there.Also .

Nice nice state.
Guess your not farmers .....

dodge

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 09, 2006 03:32 AM
Mine are still growing here in NY and
no bolting, Yettttttt!!!

I even just planted a second batch *which usually
is hard* here cause of the heat in the summer*
but it's been ok this year..

But alot has to do with moisture in the soil...
You want it moist, but not soggy...
and kept moist until they sprout...

A trick I do, in my raised beds, I have regular sifted garden soil and assorted compost or some kind of manure *cow or bunny* but I do use a load of freshly sifted compost *bagged potting soil can work if no compost is available* and put and pat that on top of my soil...
Thennnnnnnnn I sprinkle the seeds accordingly..
and take a veryyyyyyy thin layer of the same sifted compost *or bagged potting soil* and lightly cover...

Remember it doesn't take much to cover them...

What kind did you say you were growing, you mentioned head of lettuce?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by badplanter on July 11, 2006 06:22 AM
look everybody!! i finally got some pics in!!! but know my lettuce seems to be "drooping" does anybody know whats wrong?
 -

-
 -
by dodge on July 11, 2006 06:50 AM
badplanter,

I suggest you plant lots of seeds, and each plant will hold up the other........

They like lots of water also , and cool temperatures.

;o)

dodge

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 11, 2006 07:58 AM
I would have also said what Dodge said,
I'd also ask, have you fertilized them
with any nitrogen and if so what kind and how much?????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on July 11, 2006 08:19 AM
How's the soil? It looks pretty compacted.

John - Zone 6
by woodchuck on July 11, 2006 09:56 AM
Do you have spruce trees growing over them, I see needles, maybe some lime to help nuetralize the soil some.

Oh yeah, and what john said, ditto.
by dodge on July 11, 2006 10:06 AM
Head: Strains of Ithaca, Salinas and Pennlake have performed best in N.C.
Romaine/Cos: Romulus or Signal
Leaf: (green) Salad Bowl, Slobolt, Grand Rapids, Green Vision; (red fringe) Red Sails, Royal Red; (red) Ruby.
Butterhead: (loose head) Buttercrunch, Nancy (a.k.a. Boston head), Esmeralda, Ermosa.
Soils and Fertilizers -- Successful production of lettuce depends on vigorous growth. A wide range of well-drained soils can be used; however, the crop does best on fertile, high organic matter soils that have good water-holding capacity.

Adequate nutrients and a continuous moisture
Read this it may help some ...

dodge

-
 -
by badplanter on July 11, 2006 11:39 AM
THe soil IS very compacted, i posted a question about my entire garden in the "landscaping" section, and they said the same thing--i need to improve my soil. All the clay in it is really a burden. So, next spring, ill get the soil really good and ready to go! Thanks!

Im growing Iceberg head lettuce, and Romane lettuce (i think)

-
 -
by woodchuck on July 11, 2006 03:30 PM
Badplanter:

Start amending in the fall if possible, grow a cover crop, even seeds scattered on top and raked in lightly will grow and start the process, probably the cheapest and easiest way to start, other than renting a tiller and mixing in mowed-over leaves and clippings. Small steps now can help make the spring job easier.
by ladybug67 on July 18, 2006 05:31 AM
Hello, I have a question about my lettuce, there is some white clumps behide some of the lettuce and not sure what it is? maybe some mold or animal doop? any help would be great. Dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by dodge on July 18, 2006 05:39 AM
Perhaps salts on the top of the soil..

Or Lime?

Is it in an area where water lays?

dodge

-
 -
by ladybug67 on July 18, 2006 05:55 AM
Well if so then it's pretty big like the crowns for califlowers looking like but white white?? Thanks Dodge Though maybe some kind of mushroom but looking like a calliflower?? any thought on that one?? Dee

by weezie13 on July 18, 2006 06:09 AM
Dee,
Happen to have a picture???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ladybug67 on July 18, 2006 06:18 AM
No I don't have a camra have a camcorder with the pic but the pic are not that great and would know how to unload them to the site.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: