The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pumpkins

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: pumpkins| Next thread: pumpkins »
Back to Thread index
by manx on June 29, 2006 12:33 AM
grew 4 from seed -planted out when about six inches high ,2 have already died ---any tips on giving the others a good chance(costal garden,chalky bedrock ,stoney,full sun,intermitantly windy and rainy although uncommonally dry at present.) thanks.

m.g.bloom
by johnCT on June 29, 2006 12:49 AM
Amend the soil. Pumpkins are heavy feeders.

John - Zone 6
by Greenthumb newbee on July 02, 2006 07:22 PM
Like JohnCT said. Best thing to do is get ALOT
of organic material like some compost and put it all around by the stems. Also under some of the leaf stems on the ground. Most ANY vine plants LOVE compost. Chicken Manure is good as well but it stinks for a few days.
by Longy on July 05, 2006 01:00 AM
Pumpkins are not the greatest for transplanting. So maybe transplant shock killed them too.
Hot sun is fine but the soil must remain cool. So mulching helps. Plenty of water while establishing and good drainage is essential. As already stated, they are really hungry, but shouldn't die off in poor soil, just not thrive.
Was it shortly/immediately after transplanting that they died?
Transplant shock can be overcome by using a seaweed or kelp extract before and after transplanting and then again a week later.

-
The secret is the soil.
by badplanter on July 06, 2006 02:07 PM
all these other answers seem right--but try watering it or fertilizing it more/less. also try not to touch the leaves at all if you already have. good luck, hope those other 2 don't die as well! when i grow pumpkins, i throw my haloween rotted pumpkins in the back of my garden after haloween--they grow by themselves from there-- also, make sure there is ALOT of room for them to spread--pumpkins are heavy feeders, and they need room to grow

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pumpkins| Next thread: pumpkins »
Back to Thread index