The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tristar Strawberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Triss' Lumpia| Next thread: Tritoma »
Back to Thread index
by Ellie on June 28, 2006 03:52 PM
Help. We planted 64 plants of Tristar Strawberries. They are producing well, every other day or so I pick a small bowlfull--enough to snack on in the evening. They are not in full sun, they are full sun for only about 4hrs a day and the rest mostly shaded, after around 3pm are for sure in the shade.

My problem is they are too tart. They have a good strawberry flavor, they are hearty plants and growing well but are way too tart, a bit sour actually. We planted them early in May-they are new plants. I water them every other day for a few minutes, enough for the soil to have small puddles that dissapear within a few minutes.

What can I do to make them not so sour or tart?

Thanks for all your suggestions to come...
Ellie

Ellie R
Kelso, WA (Southwest Washington State)
by chrissy fair on June 28, 2006 03:58 PM
welcome to the forum Ellie. I was planing on trying some strawberries next year, and am glad you posted this. I am also wondering about tartness and look forward to a reply from the more experienced gardners
by Ellie on June 28, 2006 04:02 PM
The flavor is great as far as "strawberry" flavor goes. They vary is size from pea sized to a nice medium size, most of the initial berries were tiny and I tried to pluck most of them so the plants could concentrate on growing before producing. But all of them are tart buggers, for them to be easily edible without the tart you need sugar (or whipped cream of course).

I am thinking I should have selected the Quinalt strawberry instead but the Tristar just seemed to be suited for our growing area.

Ellie R
Kelso, WA (Southwest Washington State)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Triss' Lumpia| Next thread: Tritoma »
Back to Thread index