The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cilantro Seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cilantro/Corriander Seed Harvesting| Next thread: Cinamon basil »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on June 27, 2006 05:28 AM
My cilantro that bolted, now has passed onto a better a place. [Big Grin] I was harvesting the seeds from the plant and was wondering what is a good seed? I have many different colors, green, reddish, and brown. Do the seeds need to be dried, cooled, frozen, before they will germinate? What is proper storage of seeds?

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on June 27, 2006 06:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
What is proper storage of seeds?
This question I can answer as it is the same for most seed. I'm not specifically familiar with cilantro though except for back in my produce manager days. Seed needs to be kept cool and dry. I keep mine in air-tight canisters with a bunch of those silica gel packets to absorb moisture. You could also substitute uncooked rice for those.

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on June 27, 2006 02:53 PM
Ciao Sarah,

Leave your plant alone if you can..just let those seeds get way dry on the plant. Then cut the plant down to a few inches above the soil line and put the part you cut off in a spot out of direct sunlight to dry completely. Store your seeds in paper coin envelopes or washed out pill bottles in a dry, dark, cool spot.

I put my herbs under a plum tree in a spot that I don't really till so they can perennialize. I let them go to seed and I let the seeds scatter where they may. Some people like a bit more order and control than that, but it works for me. If the weather is hot and stupid and I have premature bolting issues, I go ahead and just scatter about a teaspoonful of seed for an extended harvest. When I sow seeds directly, I pretty much never follow the seed packet instructions. I crowd stuff, especially smallish stuff like herbs and peas and lettuces. Duane laughs at me when he sees me starting my basil indoors in March. I put about a 1/4 teaspoonful of seed into each cell in a 32 cell flat. And then I complain that I don't think I planted enough when I see how puny the transplants are. It's genetic, Italians always plant too much, cook too much, eat too much.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by LandOfOz on June 27, 2006 03:06 PM
Sorellina, ummmm.... Let's "pretend" that I already pulled the plant, yanked the seeds off and tossed the dead foliage... [Embarrassed] kinda feeling stupid here... [Roll Eyes] what the heck do I do now?? I actually have no idea where I'm going to plant the stuff next...maybe in a pot so it doesn't bolt 2 weeks after being put outside. I'm a terrible gardener--I like to call it green-thumb challenged--and try not to overplant because then there is just more for me to watch die. [Big Grin] But now I have this website and I'll just have to remember not to do...well, anything, without consulting the 'experts'!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by lakegran on June 28, 2006 05:04 AM
Can I sneak on to this thread with a related question? At what point does the cilantro become coriander and do you dry that as you would for seed to plant.
I have not had much luck with cilantro in my garden, but have been able to grow it like mad in a boxes on my deck. I am hoping to have fresh cilantro growing when my kung pao peppers come on. Right now I am still using some frozen chiles from last year, Wow does that salsa have a KICK!!!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cilantro/Corriander Seed Harvesting| Next thread: Cinamon basil »
Back to Thread index