The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my family and friends think i'm certifiably crazy...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My entry| Next thread: My favorite chicken salad »
Back to Thread index
by DeeLuzon on June 26, 2006 09:39 AM
i'm on my second year gardening (this year on a larger, planned scale) and found myself creating a kinda interactive website (for myself, really, to keep a record of what i was doing). i've always thought of myself as fairly spontaneous and casual, but this whole gardening thing has made it clear that i've simply been repressing a rather severe case of obsessive-compulsive disorder lo these 54+ years.

so, after a couple of months lurking around here (learning lots, especially about the educational upside of mistakes - which i now like to think of as my 'agricultural experiments'), i've decided to appeal to a community of similarly-demented folks for sympathy.

I cordially invite you all to see, made manifest, what our particular brand of lunacy can lead to when one finds the need, even at 2 in the morning of a cold & windy early spring day, to be doing something "garden-related." check it out at Growth Industry, my embarrassingly comprehensive record of this year's efforts.

I haven't created any way to leave remarks there (i dunno if i really want to do so), but i welcome comments and suggestions for improvements (to the garden &/or the site) here. Enjoy!

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by EvelynsFlowerbaby on June 26, 2006 10:16 AM
I don't think your crazy, I do the same things. I was out weeding my garden with a thunderstorm approching. I guess its just a gardeners curse or something.

Rachel Roberts
www.myhorseteddybear.com
www.petticoatpets.com
by angelblossom on June 26, 2006 10:35 AM
Hey DeeLuzon I think that's a fantaztic plan you've got going there
I still haven't learned to catalog where I planted what !! [Roll Eyes] [nutz] [lala]

I do keep seed envelopes and plant tags tho' At least I do a something to refer back to ,, And I do plant to gether grouping that needs lots of water and seperate those from heat drought tolerant,, full sun and shade That's about it for me but I don't have the land that you have either!!

Just for the record your off to a good start with all that land I'd definatley would have to have a laid out plan as well

Good job on your site!! well thought out!! keep us updated on your progress okay??

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by DeeLuzon on June 26, 2006 10:58 AM
quote:
Good job on your site!! well thought out!! keep us updated on your progress okay??
thanks and, you bet... i'll post reminders to check it out periodically (probably immediately after something "good" happens out there)

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by Powderhunter on June 26, 2006 11:35 AM
My god I can't wait till I have the time to do that. I'm only 31, raising a family and working a ton. That said, I will be a gardening fool when I get older. Very nice job though.
by johnCT on June 27, 2006 02:00 AM
You'll fit right in here! [Big Grin] No website for me, but I do have a comprehensive spreadsheet for my tomato problem. [nutz]

John - Zone 6
by DeeLuzon on June 27, 2006 03:27 AM
ahhh, a spreadsheet for tomato problems ... clearly i DID book into the right loony bin when i registered at this site!!

- Oscar Wilde
by Stuspot on June 27, 2006 05:42 AM
I like your site, especially your dogs--they look like sentries!!

I wish I had the time to track things as you are--I'm sure I could learn a lot from myself if I just wrote some things down.

Good job!!
by Sorellina on June 27, 2006 05:44 AM
Ciao all,

I keep my notes in a lab notebook, pen and paper, old-fashioned sciencie-type person I guess, lol. After my first year of growing stuff way too close together and haphazard documentation, I discovered Craig LeHoullier's website and took my cue from him. He's way more computer literate than I ever hope to be, but I like his choice of data..mainly germination dates and rates, dates of potting up, dates of transplantation, who's in a pot, who's in the ground, dates of first flower, dates of first fruit set, dates of first harvest. He also keeps a lot more harvest data like total number of fruit and total weight per plant. I'm really trying not to be that anal. I also keep my maps in that book. I map my seedlings and I map my raised beds, just in case. And there have been 'just in case' circumstances so I'm always happy for that data!

I'm also a compulsive tomato flower puller offer. I check my plants a bazillion times a day (lost count, don't care), get my face about a millimeter away from the flower to see if it's set yet and if it has, I pull it off. I've managed to wean myself off of doing that with Duane's peppers. He's going to bite me if he catches me doing it, so I stay away from that part of the garden completely (..and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil..)

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by LandOfOz on June 27, 2006 05:57 AM
Wow, that is a fantastic site! I almost cried when I saw your scenery: here in Ks it is so flat you can see that back of your head. It's terrible. I really like the way you've compiled and organized everything on that site--it's really marvelous!!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on June 27, 2006 06:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sorellina:
I'm also a compulsive tomato flower puller offer.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

What's the Italian term for that? [tongue]

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on June 27, 2006 06:51 AM
Ciao John,

Fiore di pomodoro estrattore compulsivo. [teacher]

Did you see Totti's goal ??? [clappy] I'm still catching my breath!

Viva Italia und Los Deutschland! [thumb]

Julianna, who has no clue what she's going to do if and when these 2 teams meet, which is a distinct possibility now... [dunno]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My entry| Next thread: My favorite chicken salad »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: