The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

watermelons 2

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: watermelons & pumpkins| Next thread: Watermelons in a container? »
Back to Thread index
by davida580 on June 26, 2006 04:30 AM
can anyone tell me why my watermelons are rotting and splitting open at the bloom end? so far it seems to only be the elongated type my black diamond, and cantaloupe seem to be ok. could it be the same thing tomatoes do with B.E.R. they start out fine then all of a sudden they start getting soft on the blossom end and some split open. i've been watering them about once a week. this is my first garden so i don't want to loose them we were all excited about all the melons they are everywhere. thanks
by weezie13 on June 26, 2006 04:39 AM
Hi David,
How's the watering and soil staying wet or dry?
If it's really hot, lot's of wind, dryin' out..
and inconsistance source of water, ie: hose or rain.. that can happen..

Have you sprinkled any Epsom Salts around the plant? That can help it utilize better the calcium in the soils/dirt...

(any type of beetle/grubs around in soil or in the stem of plant?)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by davida580 on June 26, 2006 06:29 AM
i've been watering about once a week my black diamonds and cantaloupe are doing fine and they are in the same spot. have seen a few beetles but doesn't explain why the others aren't being eaten.some of my tomatoes are doing the same so i got some bonemeal to put around them would that work for the melons? how much salt should i use? thanks.
by weezie13 on June 26, 2006 06:44 AM
David here's some info from Epsom Salt
There's three links on the left side,
You're already linked to the first one..
but make sure you click on the next two below..

That will help you with how much to apply and how for each type of plant...*under garden useage tips*

Too little calcium can be due to a couple of problems, could be low soil pH, or low calcium and irregular uptake of water.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Amigatec on June 27, 2006 01:35 PM
I have a small watermelon on my vine, about the size of a golf ball, they are so cute at that age!!!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: watermelons & pumpkins| Next thread: Watermelons in a container? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: