The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Corn Question- Whats going on?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Corn query| Next thread: corn rootworm! »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on June 24, 2006 04:27 PM
Well, I had my first try at sweet corn and planted it incorrectly (not in a way in which polinating will happen). But I have never grown anything and I honestly don't know whats going on. Anyone?

-

-
by woodchuck on June 24, 2006 06:15 PM
As far as I knew, the stuff on the top falls down on the tassle, then it makes an ear. If you get a plant, and you have, then you should get an ear. Although sweet corn has many enemies, and is the most fragile of the corn families.

How many days since germination?, your seed packet or source should indicate how many days untill harvest. 71day to 116day.
by Marina on June 25, 2006 07:13 AM
Thanks [Smile] I feel a bit silly, but I have never seen corn grow and thought a weed might be growing in it or something. I hope it makes use some corn [Smile]
by Marina on June 25, 2006 07:14 AM
Oops...to answer your germination question I don't have the packet but I believe it was 80 or 88 [Smile]

I planted them at the end of April so its been a bit over 60.
by Amigatec on June 25, 2006 07:27 AM
They say you have to plant 4 rows of corn in a block for pollination. I haven't had any problems.

This year I planted 2 rows 6" apart, moved over 20" and planted 2 more rows just like it, and did a 3rd row. I hope this works. I plan to thin them back a little.

Also if you are seeing tassels on the ears, you might want to apply a mineral oil to the tops to keep the bugs out. You can buy food grade mineral oil from most Drug Stores. Just use a small paint brush and brush it on, also you will only get about 3 ears per stalk.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by woodchuck on June 25, 2006 02:01 PM
Amigatec; 3 ears per stalk? wow. 1 or 2 is common on the corn around here.

I figure if I follow the farmers setup then mine should work okay. They plant for their equipment to fit in the rows, and it seems to work out fine. I did 7rows, 6" plant spacing during seeding, 30" row spacing. Nest year I'm seeding 4" space, and 24" rowspacing so the corn has more support from its fellow stalk during the storms and high winds.

Was poking around today and there is knee high corn with the top(tassle) showing already. It's 73 day, I can't imagine having sweet corn on the cob in July, but it would be tasty.YUM.

Good luck with yours.
by Deborah L. on June 25, 2006 02:37 PM
Is it true that you should have the water boiling (If you're going to simmer the ears) before you pick?
I have never in my life tasted freshly picked corn. You lucky ducks ! [Smile]

-
 -
by Amigatec on June 25, 2006 03:06 PM
I am going to answer two replies here.

Some of my corn grow 2 ears, but a lot of it grows 3.

I bake my corn. If it is frozen I place it in a pan, add butter, salt and pepper and bake 400* for an hour. I think it has a much better taste.

You can do it with fresh or grill it have the husk on, just pull it back remove the silk, add butter and soak in water so the husk doesn't burn.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Deborah L. on June 26, 2006 07:17 AM
I wonder if 3 or 4 corn seeds would do OK in a huge deep pot? Would corn work in a pot?
I'm a container patio gardener.
I have a huge, long patio and it's densely populated with some really beautiful plnats and decorator pots of various sizes.
My veggie "garden" is an enormous clay pot and is planted with a yellow pear tomato, a few culinary herbs, a bell pepper, and is ringed by strawberries.

-
 -
by Marina on June 26, 2006 01:58 PM
Deb...I wannnna see your veggie garden [Smile] Was that pathetic enough to warrant some photos? LOL
by Deborah L. on June 26, 2006 05:38 PM
Marina, I don't have a digital camera but it's on my list.
When I do get one and learn to use it I'd love to share pictures, and thanks for asking ! [wavey]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Corn query| Next thread: corn rootworm! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: