The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Exposed Onion?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Explain rose varieties?| Next thread: Extra large Marigolds »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on June 23, 2006 03:59 PM
Well.... I didn;t know onions were started from sets so I planted white and red onions from seed. We had a torrential down pour 2 days ago and while out in the yard today I notices many of the onions with tiny exposed bulbs.

1. first...YAY they're growing into bulbs!!!!!!
2. Do I cover them with more dirt or leave them alone?

Thanks [Smile]

Marina-
by Triss on June 23, 2006 05:49 PM
I would cover them. Once the hot sun comes out again and hits those young bulbs, they are going to need some protection. I would put about the same amount of dirt on that came off, maybe a wee bit more if you are expecting more rain.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Longy on June 24, 2006 12:31 AM
Or you could mulch them lightly. Just cover the bulbs. Mulch with dry grass clippings would do it. They may hold together better if you get another downpour too. If there are seeds in you grass clippings though, use something else. Onions are pretty tough, and growing from seed is fine. It just takes longer for them to mature.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Marina on June 24, 2006 02:19 AM
Thanks guys [Wink] The bulbs are so cute, I was happy to get a look at what was going on under the dirt.

This sgagmum peat moss is the worse though. I think it came with seeds for the weeds to be honest with you. Its like a giant weed bed [Frown]
by tkhooper on June 24, 2006 03:08 AM
I had that problem with the "garden soil" from miracle grow. I won't do that again any time soon lol.

I can't wait to show you the grocery store bought onion. It's if full bloom now.

I have to get out there with the camera don't I?

-
 -
by Marina on June 24, 2006 09:21 AM
You have GOT to get a photo of that huge onion. Here are my babies [Smile]

-

-
by Deborah L. on June 24, 2006 09:51 AM
You're sounding better, Marina !
I'm glad you've cheered up and how are the new plants doing?
TK, a grocery store onion? What will it do, get bigger or provide scallions or what?
I'm curious because I was wondering about planting one too.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Explain rose varieties?| Next thread: Extra large Marigolds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: