The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gray Leaf Spot? Other fungus?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: gravesites| Next thread: great bird of paradise info »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by jackj on July 26, 2005 05:45 AM
Please check out the photos at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jm_jensen/album?.dir=6b9c
The most recent are labeled back yard, side yard and front yard. I think this is Gray Leaf Spot. If so, it's throughout my lawn. I'd like to stay organic, but I'm thinking it's too late. Plus, organic strengthens the roots, but this is in the blades.
If you have any ideas of the other photos, particularly "white beads", let me know, too. Thanks.
by RugbyHukr on July 26, 2005 06:28 AM
That looks like St. Augustine, so I am going to post an informative site on it.

St. Augustine Grass

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by jackj on July 27, 2005 01:13 AM
Thanks; I've read that. It is St. Augustine; sorry for forgetting to mention that. I was tipped that the white beads may be slime mold. Still wanted to confirm the Gray Leaf Spot, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
by The Plant Doc on July 30, 2005 08:19 PM
Yep it is Grey Leaf Spot, a very common disease up here in Cheeseland.

And the other is a slime mold.

I would be more concerned about the leaf spot then the slime mold as slime molds co-exist with the grass, and do not actually feed off the plants, like other fungi do.

As far as going "organic" There is no real organic fungicide, but there is one that may not be all that bad. It is called Mankozeb, its active ingredients are basically zinc and manganese. Follow the directions on the label, and be careful while this stuff is pretty safe it is still an eye irritant.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gravesites| Next thread: great bird of paradise info »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: