The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatoes and Fertilizer

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomatoes - Raised Bed| Next thread: tomatoes and squash »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on June 20, 2006 02:48 PM
My tomatoes are in bloom and some are already carrying fruit, is there a special fertilizer to use. I'm using 20-20-20 right now.

The same question for my squash and zucchini plants.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Danno on June 20, 2006 03:09 PM
i'm not the expert here, but that sounds AWEFULLY high in nitrogen content. Maybe someone will do a follow-up post and agree/disagree and be of more help. I'm just concerned with aphids in essence. ..
by johnCT on June 21, 2006 01:01 AM
Rosepetal, a balanced fert(same numbers) is the right thing to use and now is the right time, but Danno's right, too high of a concentration of nutrients. Try 10-10-10 for most veggies. Of course, nothing can replace amending your soil with organic matter. In the long run, this, and the microorganisms and worms it attracts, will provide ALL the nutrients your plants need.

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on June 21, 2006 03:23 AM
Thanks John and Danno,

I'll get some of what you say. The growth on all plants is nice, so I don't want to disturb them too much.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Danno on June 21, 2006 09:49 AM
hey rose, this is what i use in all of my garden. its VERY good organic matter, read it up! Theres also al ink on the website to find a dealer near yourself. I'm almost positive you can order str8 from them and have delivered. The GREATEST thing about this organic fert is, that they have a high source of calcium (a must for plants!) Most others (in most i mean Miracle Grow for example) dont even have calcium listed in their minerals list!!

Check it out, its fairly inexpensive as 1 bag will last my 4'x20' garden a long while!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomatoes - Raised Bed| Next thread: tomatoes and squash »
Back to Thread index