The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Doomed Lawn!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: dont even know where to start| Next thread: Dormant Peace Lily »
Back to Thread index
by Meadowlark on May 07, 2005 01:30 AM
I just want to cry because I know I will never have grass in my yard!

Unfortunately for my small lawn, my husband and I have 2 dogs. And I'm sure that anyone who has dogs knows why my grass died. Grass just will not grow where it has been peed on.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the bare patch I now have. I was thinking to put in a stone patio, unless there is some kind of super-grass out that I don't know about! [grin]

The family tree is worth bragging about if it has consistently produced good timber, and not just nuts.
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 02:10 AM
Nope don't know of any super grass that will stand up to that. But I've got a crazy idea. There was a post not to long ago about a petunia planter that was raised off the ground and looked like a tree once it blossomed out. So how about your garden on top and the ground for the dogs below? "Honey Do" to the rescue?

-
 -
by Meadowlark on May 07, 2005 07:43 AM
That's a great idea! I never thought about something like that before. Hmmm, now how to make the hubby willing... [Wink]

The family tree is worth bragging about if it has consistently produced good timber, and not just nuts.
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 02:27 PM
Willing Hubbies...

Back/Foot massage.
Warm his towel when he is in the shower.
Let him take that weekend hunting/fishing trip with his buddies.
Favorite meal but that is a dead giveaway.
Go with him and be patient when he goes to his favorite store.
Let him talk about that subject you really don't what to know about.
Buy him that article of clothing that just makes you cringe that he really wants.
The last boyfriend really liked jewelery in the shape of animals, deer, elk, that kind of thing.

-
 -
by Meadowlark on May 09, 2005 07:42 AM
That's great! Thanks! [thumb]

by tkhooper on May 09, 2005 12:29 PM
CAUTION: lol

Spoiling hubbies can have repercussion. When he starts bragging about you to his friends their wives are not going to be happy.

Just kidding, it is way to early in the morning here and the walls are paper thin so I can't start any of my projects. Thus, I write very strange posts.

Hope you enjoy your day.

-
 -
by Carly on May 11, 2005 03:40 PM
A tenant who just vacated at the end of April was on a rag with us. He deliberately had his dog pee on the periwinkle patch I am trying to raise.

He tried to play dumb about it - thought it didn't matter. So he said.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by RugbyHukr on May 12, 2005 06:43 AM
I have had my dog for 11,years & never a problem with lawns. I think it has to do with the grass more than the dog. Check link... dog lawn

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Elfinone on May 12, 2005 04:15 PM
I had a neighbor right in back of me, she was a bit of an odd one but thats ok,lol. anyway she had 2 dogs and she amde them a section in her yard for them to use. she took out the grass in the section, laid plastic down then covered it with rock. she put a make shift fence up with a gate, when the dogs had to go out she put them in that area til they went and did their business, gave them a treat. these were older dogs. before the summer was out they would only use "their" spot. Kinda like house breaking, but lawn breaking. She and her husband then began to repair the lawn while the training was being done, beautiful lawn they had. She also put mid height plants at the entry way of this area, it looked really nice.
It's an idea, for consideration with what you have going on.
[Wink]
Elfie
by RugbyHukr on May 13, 2005 07:21 AM
I once replaced a lawn for someone that had 3 very large dogs. They would dig & tear, etc. And the yard was unsightly.

I planted aegopodium podograria 'bishops weed'. It is very aggressive, but can be easily contained by string trimming the boundaries during the time you save by not mowing.

The root system repairs quickly + it wants to spread. Thus, any damaged areas are soon grown over.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by scotka on May 15, 2005 08:56 AM
Dogs and their lawn pee marks!!! Yikes! We "received" a puppy 7 years ago and he will be the last one we ever get...although our labrador is one of the most well-behaved dogs I know in our circle of dog owners, he will be the last pooch we own. They are demanding.

At 8 weeks old I immediately established his pee place. It took time, discipline and patience - then more time, more patience and really more discipline but eventually, he got it. Thank the lord I had enough time off to monitor this task. But thankfully, only one part of our lawn beside the compost is destroyed by pee marks - a perfect place, I figured.

Now if I can only get hubby to stop throwing the pooch's ball which leaves 10 foot gashes in the lawn when he misses the catch...groan!!!
by debian on May 16, 2005 02:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
I just want to cry because I know I will never have grass in my yard!

Unfortunately for my small lawn, my husband and I have 2 dogs. And I'm sure that anyone who has dogs knows why my grass died. Grass just will not grow where it has been peed on.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the bare patch I now have. I was thinking to put in a stone patio, unless there is some kind of super-grass out that I don't know about! [grin]

by debian on May 16, 2005 02:35 AM
this may sound like I have totally flipped,but I have been told by friends who have dogs that it works. Pour a little tomato juice on dogs food or just start feeding them tomato slices as a snack....Don't know why it works but it does, and for some strange reason... dogs do like vegetables.
by frustratedattimes on May 22, 2005 03:30 PM
I have to keep my lab/shepard dog on a run since the neighbor kids cut thru my property to get to the little pond to go fishing. In the area she does her business, the grass is thicker, grows faster and is greener than any other part of my lawn. [dunno] [Frown] [nutz] I dont know,, you tell me what is going on,,, [Big Grin] The grass is Fescue.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dont even know where to start| Next thread: Dormant Peace Lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: