The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato Leaves curling

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Momma Bird on June 20, 2006 11:37 AM
Our garden is doing really well off to a great start BUT the tomato leaves are curling up. Growing in a raised bed with Miracle Grow Garden Soil. We have full sun, not much rain. Zone 6(Texas Panhandle) in a drought; temps around 100. Watering via drip system about 2-3 hours every other day. When we didn't do that the cucumber and squash collasped. Are we watering tomatoes too much? Too little. No sign of pest or disease. These are Beefsteak and Better Boy.

Thanks

Momma Bird
by peppereater on June 20, 2006 12:51 PM
Curling can be a symptom of many different things, or they can be a normal occurence that is actually genetic. Heat may well be contributing, as could overwatering or underwatering, overfertilizing, etc. If there is no browning, yellowing, etc., it may be part of a fairly normal pattern. Be sure to check for aphids or spidermites, but green leaves are often healthy, curl or not. Can't comment on your varieties.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by JV on June 20, 2006 01:23 PM
Momma Bird when I lived in Amarillo we watered ours early before sunrise or late after 10 pm to keep from scalding them. Your in the same drought we are in here and Dave and Pat are in there in Oklahoma. We watered about 30 minutes everyday but did not use the drip system always liked to hand water or use hose end sprinkler but you may have too much for that.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Momma Bird on June 21, 2006 03:55 AM
We watered more deeply last evening before dark and the tomatoes are nice and happy this am. No sign of pest or disease and the leaves are a nice solid dark green. I guess it is the 100 degree heat and we will have to be careful. We are going to try an extra handwatering for these guys.
Boy I appreciate the help!

Momma Bird
by johnCT on June 21, 2006 04:14 AM
Don't forget to water at the base of the plant to avoid getting the foliage wet. This will reduce the ability of disease to spread. Also, if the plants aren't mulched, consider doing this. It controls moisture and disease spread.....not to mention weeds.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: