The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

flower garden being a vegtable garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Flower Cups| Next thread: Flower Help! »
Back to Thread index
by stephie on June 19, 2006 07:02 PM
Well I bought one of those wild flower shakers from Walmart cause I thought it was the easiest way to do a garden and I'm not happy. It basically looks like I'm growing a bunch of weeds. This is my problem,I'd rather have a vegetable garden. Is it possible? I'd like to try to get some stuff in this year but if not thats ok. I'd just like to know what to do so I can grow a vegetable garden without flowers coming up.
by Zenith on June 19, 2006 08:33 PM
by stephie on June 19, 2006 09:19 PM
Well I read that already but I'm not sure that I can just retill and start over with a vegetable garden considering I already have wildflowers growing in that area. I wanna make sure its ok to just start over and that I won't have flowers coming up too.
by tkhooper on June 19, 2006 10:52 PM
I'm not completely sure I understand either. To get rid of the flowers pull them up just like you would do with weeds. If they haven't already gone to seed that should take care of it. And yes you should be able to do some of the quicker growing veggies like green onions, radishes, carrots and such. I'm not sure you have time for tomatoes or green peppers. Good luck with your garden and welcome to the garden helper.

-
 -
by Shawn M on June 20, 2006 12:31 AM
Hi Stephie,

If you can still find tomato and pepper seedlings you should still have time to get some fruit from them(mine are doing better once it started getting hot). I would recommend cherry tomatoes since they seem (to me) to produce faster. Lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, and bush beans should be able to start from seed.

With the lettuce, radishes, and beans you should be able to get a couple of crops done before frost. There are some good seeds out there that do well in the heat and the fall.

You can increase the number of lettuce and radish crops by planting in the shade provided by your other veggies.

Good luck!

Shawn
by stephie on June 20, 2006 07:10 AM
Thanks guys!! I'm gonna try your suggetions out this weekend.
by sue099 on June 21, 2006 03:06 PM
I can recommend blue lake bush beans. They are free standing and don't need any kind of support unlike the pole beans. The only thing is I'm not sure about you having enough time now with you being in Minnesota.
I planted a crop last summer in mid Aug and was just fine (I'm in NC) but I think you'd have to get them in immediately where you are to make sure they were harvested before it got cold.

Cucumbers will grow pretty quickly if you start with seedlings now and you have some sturdy support you can use for them.

Nature is the art of God ~ Thomas Browne,1635

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flower Cups| Next thread: Flower Help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: