The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

South Central Wisconsin

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: source for browns| Next thread: south facing spot needs help »
Back to Thread index
by Bill Swiderski on June 19, 2006 07:32 AM
I am considering retireing to Southern Wisconsin. I have no idea what zone that would be or what fruits and vegatables grow well there. Anyone with any general info on the area I would appreciate letting me know. I am in the southern partof zone 7 and I'm sure it is much different there.
Thanx
by Bestofour on June 19, 2006 08:30 AM
The only thing I know about Wisconsin is that Richie Cunningham lived there. Why, if I'm not being too nosy, are you moving from warm TN to cold Wisconsin?

-

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Danno on June 19, 2006 11:38 AM
for CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!! [thumb]
by woodchuck on June 20, 2006 01:25 AM
Bill:

You'd be in zone 5, it's easier to say what you would NOT grow, shorter list.

oranges, grapefruit, exotic fruits, hmmm...that's about it. Everything else is fair game, any vegetable, most every fruit that you'd care to eat.

The last frost date, typically is Memorial Day, but there are always exceptions, like, last tuesday produced some frost, enough to camage wax begonias.

Wisconsin is a beautiful state, with lots to enjoy, our Festival season in Milwaukee is second to none in the country, from Memorial Day thru Halloween there is a festival at the lakefront, different foods, music and often fireworks. If you like nature and excercise the Kettle Moraine-Southern unit provides paved paths for bicycling, and hiking that are breathlessly beautiful during autumn.
by Bill Swiderski on June 20, 2006 10:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
The only thing I know about Wisconsin is that Richie Cunningham lived there. Why, if I'm not being too nosy, are you moving from warm TN to cold Wisconsin?

-

by Bill Swiderski on June 20, 2006 10:16 AM
Thanx Woodchuck, sounds great. Any idea if there are poisonous snakes in Wisconsin?
by woodchuck on June 20, 2006 12:55 PM
I don't believe so, but a google check would probably get you a better answer.

The worst thing around here is brown recluse spider , but there have only been a few recorded finds...rare.

Your state still have " BEE " warning signs during the summer? The winter kills everything here, so no killer bees, or 3"roaches, and stuff that is south of the Mason/Dixon line.

Check out the costs for retirees, I know WI is not the best deal for retiring from an economic standpoint, but we've got GREAT medical facilities.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: source for browns| Next thread: south facing spot needs help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: