The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Growing Fruits Pics...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My Grandmothers Aloe PLant.| Next thread: my happy epi »
Back to Thread index
by DeepCreekLake on June 18, 2006 06:08 AM
Though Id post some pics of a few of the fruits I have growing! First here is a pic of my Maxim Strawberrys- these are June bearings but they are producing very well! They were actually free bonus plants from Stark Bros, from an order I placed this Spring

-

Here is a pic of my Tristars strawberrys- Everbearing day nuetrals growing in a tower made from cocoa fiber. The tower will hold 25 strawberry plants, these are starting the bear fruit, although I ave plucked alot off to get the plants off to a better start:
 -

Next is a branch of one my 2 Bartlett pears- with baby pears. This year had a decent fruit set of bartletts, the trees are still young but produced well so far. Other pears are producing too, including Duchess, Moonglow, and Potomac pear which as an Anjou X Moonglow cross.

-

Next you can see a few baby peaches. Its a Belle Of Georgia Peach - which is a white fleshed peach. The tree was planted last fall!

-

Next is a Reliance Peach. It is a very cold hardy peach- yellow fleshed. It had the best fruit set of the peaches, but is still young too.

-

Last pic of the bunch, is baby Golden Delicous apples. The deer really like grazing on my apple trees, but this one has branches high enough to keep them off! My gala set a few apples too, all the others are still too young!
 -
by Amigatec on June 18, 2006 07:05 AM
My Bartlett Pear has one lonely fruit on it, I planted it last year and with the dry weather I am surprised it grew any fruit.

-

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by peppereater on June 18, 2006 10:00 AM
Nice pics. I have a few baby apples, which is quite a surprise. A late freeze got most of my fruit. I have over 20 trees, mostly peaches, and I was really looking forward to having fruit this year.
Oh well, there's always next year! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by DeepCreekLake on June 18, 2006 11:11 AM
Amigatec- I planted my 2 bartlett trees last year too. The pic is really of just one branch both trees set a decent crop. Did you plant any other type of pear tree nearby? Pears needs cross pollination from another type of pear to really set fruit. Bartletts, are really only partially self fertile-but will set way more fruit with another type of pear close by. Your tree looks healthy, it should do well. Does your winter weather in Oklahoma meet the required chill ratings for a Bartlett? Ive always heard Bartletts do not do well in the South due to fireblight, and lack of chilling hours.
by Amigatec on June 18, 2006 11:24 AM
Last year we didn't have a winter, never got very cold. This is the only pear tree I have I do have a peach and plum, but neither of them do any good.

The peach tree died and the plum makes small fruit that all fall off.

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on June 18, 2006 11:31 AM
Bartlett pears need 800 hours of chilling below 45 degrees to set fruit, and cross pollination as well. Lots of cultivars of Peaches,and Plums need a certain amount of chilling hours as well.
by Amigatec on June 18, 2006 11:57 AM
The peach and plum and never set good fruit, I want to cut them down and use the wood in my smoker, but wife won't let me.

-
 -
by chenno on June 19, 2006 06:02 AM
My mouth is watering...Cannot seem to grow fruit well..sure looks good.

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Bestofour on June 19, 2006 08:21 AM
Deep Creek, what will you do with all your fruit. Once the trees start producing there is way too much. I feel guilty leaving it on the trees or ground but after a while I can't even give it away.

I got some plums today. Some of them already have mushy spots from the dryness then all the rain, so maybe I won't have too many of them this year. Plums don't keep a long time.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Rosepetal on June 19, 2006 11:18 AM
DeepCreekLake

I love your idea of that strawberry tower. Did you build it yourself or do you buy it like that? Do you think I could still start this type of tower at this time of the year? I live in a zone 3b area.

I'm also gathering some info' for next year, would love to do some strawberries.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Deborah L. on June 19, 2006 11:44 AM
Pear trees...... I'm sitting here drooling....
Enjoyed all of the pictures too !

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on June 19, 2006 12:57 PM
I eat as much as I can, some I dry into chips (dried pears are very good!) Also share with family etc. Most of my trees are still young but getting some fruit to keep me busy. Rosepetal- The tower I bought from a Nursery in PA, however Stark Bros does sell the exact same one! www.starkbros.com. I dont see why you cant plant now, in fact many people plant them in fall for the following year.However I dont know if plants are stil availible from most nurserys. Its probably too late for June bearers if you want fruit this year, everbearing maybe ok. That being said- I would not leave it outside to freeze up, being its in a container- store it in a cold unheated basement with low light until Spring. Some people bring them indoors, and let them produce still! The nice thing about it is when a frost is expected, you can bring your strawberry patch indoors, and prolong the season. Also better for managing the runners!
by Rosepetal on June 20, 2006 02:46 PM
Thanks I just might try that first before I go any bigger.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Grandmothers Aloe PLant.| Next thread: my happy epi »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: