The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HAPPY HARVEST TIME EVERYONE

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Happy Gal| Next thread: Happy Holidays! »
Back to Thread index
by Sue Z on October 27, 2005 09:48 PM
How goes it? [muggs]

WE are readying for the halloween season here.
The lil' grandkiddo's took their pumkins home last night, to turn them into scary Jack-O-Lanterns.... not too early though or they will rot.

Daughter said she won't put them out too early anyway, because she has already seen the smashed one's in roads near her home.

Geeze, I guess peeps who do that crummy stuff are low lifes with no lifes. Huh?! :-(

All the pumpkins we have came from my sil's garden and are large and nearly perfect for carving. :-)

We sprayed all the one's out back with cayenne pepper spray to keep any rodents from eating them.

Once carved, if you rub the inside rim with petroleum jelly, it will keep the rim from shriveling up and your Jack O' Lantern should last about 2 weeks, unless of course you have 'pumkin smashers', in your neighborhood. :-(

Also, if you rub the inside of your Jack-O-Lantern with cinnamon and nutmeg, it will smell really good when you light it up in 'FOUR' days. lol

I hate trying to carve a pumpkin with a bunch of bumps on it ...
although those do look great for the witch pumpkins. lol

Halloween is generally thought to date back to 700 B.C. to the Celts in rural England, Ireland and Scotland.

On November 1, the first day of their new year, the Celts celebrated a festival called Samhain ("sow-in"),

which signified the end of the harvest season,
the onset of winter,
and a day of
the dead

Just thought you needed to know the facts, there.
lol ;-0

Have a great day, all!!! ;-)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!!! [wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by oldcrow61 on October 29, 2005 01:27 AM
Hi Sue: Yes, it's a wonderful time of the year. We celebrate Samhain in this house. There are many trees on the property and I rake up lots for the compost and also to dig into the beds. They usually compost over the winter. My problem this time of year are the bears that come around, right up to about ten feet from the back door. When working outside I have to always be looking around. Carol
by Sue Z on October 29, 2005 02:07 AM
"the bears that come around, right up to about ten feet from the back door."

Oh, now see, I just could not live there.
(shaking head from side to side). [Frown] LOL

Adirondack (Cindy Lou) is a dear sweet friend on this board and she is one brave lady .... she will come there and shoot those bears and hang 'em on the wall! lololol

That ain't me babe! [scaredy]

So nice to meet you, Carol. [flower] [muggs]

[wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by oldcrow61 on October 29, 2005 10:08 PM
Just got word from a neighbour this morning that there is a huge black bear around (we have the largest ones in North America. Got to be really watchful when outside gardening right now. This past week during the night I've had huge plant pots tipped over, one suet feeder gone, can't find it and another one beaten up. Oh well that's the way it is this time of year!
by weezie13 on November 15, 2005 06:37 AM
Sue Z,
How did your Halloween go?

Was thinknin' of your pumpkin's..
and the vaseline trick...
*(I was takin' our pumpkin's back to
the compost pile and they were ripe..
was wonderin' about the vaseline for the
compost pile and how it worked in there??

Anyways, hope all is well, and NO BEARS..

How's Adirondack?
Haven't seen her in a bit, feelin' better?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Happy Gal| Next thread: Happy Holidays! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: