The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grrrrrr!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing Watermelons| Next thread: Grrrrrrrrrowl »
Back to Thread index
by firsttimer on June 15, 2006 02:34 AM
I planted my tomatoes about a month and a half ago, and they're only about thre or four inches taller than they were when I planted them! I planted my mom's the day before and she has blosssoms!!! We have nothing! *Sigh* I've put MiracleGrow on them once--should I continue? The peppers and beans are thriving, though! [grin]

**Every woman needs a man with a will of his own--made out in her name!** Zone 4b

-
by johnCT on June 15, 2006 02:47 AM
How are the conditions where they are planted? Soil, sunlight, etc.? Different environmental conditions will make for huge differences. You could certainly fertilize again. Every couple of weeks will be fine. Otherwise, work on adding organic matter to your soil.

John - Zone 6
by Danno on June 15, 2006 11:16 AM
alot of other people have posted different methods of watering too. Some people keep the soil moist at all times, this is how i was always taught as a kid for everything.

Some people stress their plants and let them go till they wilt then water them a good dose & repeat this process. . claiming that it yeilds better than moist soil at all times.

This is my first year since being a boy gardening, so i really dunno how to tell you whats better, but can tell you that watering is a key factor [Smile] I keep my soil moist (checking it everyday & watering if need be). And mine are currently maybe 1' tall and have been in the ground at MOST 3 weeks.
by peppereater on June 15, 2006 12:21 PM
Odd that the peppers are doing better. Peppers and tomatoes like the same conditions, except that peppers tolerate somewhat drier soil. I find that soil amendments, manure, compost, bone meal, blood meal...work better than liquid feeding. I'd make sure there's a good mulch around the plants, and as John said, dose 'em with fertilizer every 2 weeks. In fact, if there's o mulch yet, I'd get some Plant-Tone and put down 2 or 3 tablespoons around each plant and then mulch w/ straw, grass clippings or shredded leaves. If the plants haven't wilted, they're getting enough water, but I always check by sticking a finger in the soil to the second knuckle. If it's fairly moist, I hold off.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Muskrat on June 16, 2006 03:26 AM
I am not sure how it happened exactly, but I seem to have a knack with tomatoes. I have two big plants on my balcony. They get LOTS of sun (south facing balcony) and because they are in pots they tend to dry out and start to wilt before I can water them. I have to water them twice a day, am and pm, , with about a liter to a liter and a half of water each time. If I peep outside in the middle of the day and they are drooping, I will dose them with water again. It has been in the upper 80's F here and they tend to droop often. But there are TONS of tomatoes coming. [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing Watermelons| Next thread: Grrrrrrrrrowl »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: