The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hello everybody!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hello and Help!!| Next thread: Hello Everyone!! »
Back to Thread index
by xesca on August 16, 2005 05:17 AM
hi, i've heard about you from friends, and here i am.i hope you can help me!!!
by xesca on August 16, 2005 05:21 AM
hi, i've got problems with my aloe.since one month is getting white sticky stuff on her leaves.i have no idea what could be!! who can help me? thanx a lot

francesca pinna
by Pamela Joy on August 17, 2005 11:38 PM
Hola Francesca, nice to meet you. I live in Murcia region. I have had lots of Aloes and never had white sticky stuff on the leaves, but I came across a website that may help you the other day. I will try to find it again and post the address. Hasta Luego
by Pamela Joy on August 18, 2005 03:09 AM
Me back again Francesca, I could not find anything on the websites, but I have had a look in my Cacti and Succulent book. They are quite free from pests and diseases, but can pick up some white fly sometimes, these do excrete a sticky honeydew on which a sooty mould thrives. If you spray with water to which you add a drop of washing up liquid it does sometime get rid of them, or there are sprays that you can buy which are suitable for white fly. They are best sprayed in the early evening when they start to settle for the night. Hope this will help you. Adios.
by papito on August 18, 2005 05:12 AM
Hi Xesca,

Aloe Vera is also very susceptible to mealybugs. They cluster inside leaves and against stems, covering themselves with dense powdery or cottony coatings. They feed in colonies, causing damage by sucking juices from leaves. Ass they feed, mealybugs excrete honeydew, which often attracts ants and promotes black sooty mold.

These can be controlled with non-toxic insecticidal soap. They can also be removed manually with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol.

Some soap sprays are effective insecticides. It must be sprayed directly on the insect in order to penetrate its body. Mix 1 tsp. of liquid soap (not detergent) in a gallon of water. Try different soaps, some may be more effective than others. Use on aphids, mealybugs, whiteflies, earwigs and some scales.

p.s. I have a relative in Barcelona who is a monja. Before the tragedy in New York, my wife and I were planning to retire in that city. I used to have connections with soap and perfume manufacturers in Barcelona. [Antonio Puig and Maja].

I hope you enjoy your stay in the Forum.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hello and Help!!| Next thread: Hello Everyone!! »
Back to Thread index