The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP FLYING THINGS EVERY WHERE

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by woodie on October 03, 2005 02:57 AM
Hi
new here, I have what apears to be fruit frys all over my plants. I started shoertly after repoting with a store bought premixed replanting, or starter soil.

most of the plants came from Wallmart, and I've been buying about 2 a month so they may have come in piggy back.

Their black and very small.
I would like to know if their is some naturaul way of dumping these guys.
by catlover on October 03, 2005 03:05 AM
They are most likely fungus gnats...If you go to the top of the page and in the google box type in fungus gnats or gnats there are a lot of threads addressing these little monsters.
If you have further questions...please come back to this thread and post away!

Takes some patience but you will get rid of them.
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by RugbyHukr on October 03, 2005 06:43 AM
You should be more picky of the places that you buy plants.

I would NEVER buy a plant from Walmart. Their quality is lower & the plants are often weak, diseased, or infested.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by angelblossom on October 03, 2005 07:48 AM
I've often bought houseplants from walmart!! However when I bring it home I set it outside for a couple of days on the same side of the house that it will be one whether it's inside or out!! I always re-pot, rinsing off the roots with tiped water somewhat loosing the roots and dip in root medium and use the appropiate soil for plant examine the leave under,over and on stems before leaving the store and again after re-potting most time I just use a combination of babyshampoo, beer and warm water use a large cotton ball to clean with . the many little flyiers might be fungus flies , Ive always been told to stop watering take out of the house and let it completely dry out and repot(rinsing roots) and throw old pot away and keep it away from other plants for a while.

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by duckie on October 03, 2005 09:17 AM
[wayey] Hello Woodie......and Welcome.

I've had those pesky fungus gnats before.

The first thing I aways do is give 'em a good wash.Wrap some newspaper at the base of the pot.
Covering the soil so it doesn't wash away.Use tepid water so you don't shock them.

Then cover all the exposed soil with cinnamon,or sand.(I like the cinnamon,it smells good.)
It will prevent more eggs being hatched or layed.

If the infestation is bad you might also want to use sticky traps.
Here is a good homemade one.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/21/51.html?

-
 -
by duckie on October 03, 2005 09:22 AM
oops.........hi Angel Blossom [wayey]

Welcome. [Wink]

-
 -
by woodie on October 03, 2005 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replys, I like cinninon answer, I dont like useing chemicals if I dont have to.

One question do I cover the top soil completly (showing no dirt) or just sprinkle. and should I do this before watering and feeding, and is there any negative efect I should watch for.

one comment about wallmarts plants, outside of the bug problem, I've bought some really inexpencive plant their (aroung $1.50) small 3" pots. and have really done well with them.

They have just taken more TLC, I look at walmart plant section as an orhanage of needy plants [Smile]
by RugbyHukr on October 03, 2005 10:12 PM
angel seems to have a good safety method.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: