The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Should I??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tonya on June 13, 2006 05:19 AM
I have 9 tomato plants that are growing very well and a few have small tomatoes on them. My question is do I need to "cage" them? We never did as a kid, but I see lots of people who do. If so, what is the best way to go about it. They are about 2 feet tall or so and quite bushy. Thanks!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by eClaire on June 13, 2006 07:14 AM
caging or staking is a good idea - it allows air to circulate and supports the plants. i prefer caging, because it is low upkeep - you don;t have to tie anything off, just make sure you get a cage that is big enough, mine are too small and i have to go get bigger ones to replace mine.

good luck!

Claire
by tkhooper on June 13, 2006 07:18 AM
I'm using the trench method this year and I have to say I have more tomatoes than I have in the past. But then I also have several different varieties out there this year.

-
 -
by Tonya on June 13, 2006 09:17 AM
What is the trench method?? [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by elkwc36 on June 13, 2006 12:24 PM
Tonya,
That is another question there is no wrong answer really. I cage and also let some sprawl. I mulch heavy and here don't have the moisture problem from rain normally so both work well. The reason I cage is so I can put more in a certain area. I have never staked so can't comment on that. It boils down to preference and how you want to use your available space. I have plenty so sprawling works well for me. Best of luck with whichever method you use. JD
by JV on June 13, 2006 01:02 PM
Tonya I cage mine but I don't use the little round one you see most places. I have steel square cages a paper company used for recycleing a friend brought them to me they are great stand about 4 foot high and are 2x2 ft. I now have two stacked up because my cherokee tomoato is over 6 foot tall Had to support it limbs are big and heavy hated to but had no choice that or let limbs break off as they are too heavy to hold themselves up. Hope this helps you.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Tonya on June 13, 2006 02:22 PM
Thanks all...I think that I am going to stake and maybe make a "net" of twine. I hate to buy cages...I have been on maternity leave for 6 months [lala] so I really don't want to spend if not neccessary. I would still like to find out about this trench method...anyone know what this is?

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Greenthumb newbee on June 13, 2006 06:31 PM
JV too bad on the tomato plants branches breaking off. I HAD that problem and also the tomato plants outgrowing the cages. Heres what I did. I went to farm and home nd bought some tomato FENCING. It`s about 8 feet by 4 feet. I bent it if half to make a u out of it. Then I put it around the tomato plants I had at the time and shoved the ends into the ground anchoring them. The BIG square holes support the branches without damaging them. Anyway the 8 tomato plants I had in them (4 fences 2 plants per fence) easily filled them and I got over 100 Lbs of tomatos. roma and big boy (more like beafsteak in size)

I NEVER had soooooo many tomatos in my like and I made several gallons of sauce (yum yum)

That is what "I" would do. Such a shame I did`nt take a pic of them last year.
by johnCT on June 15, 2006 03:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tonya:
I would still like to find out about this trench method...anyone know what this is?
Tonya, I'm not positive and maybe she can confirm, but I think what TK is referring to is the planting of "leggy" tomato plants in a shallow trench rather than digging a deep hole to bury most of the stem in. This keeps most of the initial roots of the plants near the soil's surface.

John - Zone 6
by Tonya on June 16, 2006 02:14 AM
Thanks John! Too bad I didn't know about this sooner. I have very sandy soil and had to mix potting soil with my soil...that was fun! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: