The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pests in canna

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: pests| Next thread: pests in compost pile? »
Back to Thread index
by nritya on September 15, 2005 09:05 PM
I have a bed of canna in my garden . There are about 14 plants.So far there were no flowers. Now one of them has developed a bunch of buds out of which one flower has bloomed today. But the flower was drooping and when I went near and checked it I saw two green worms with little spikes allover their body on the flower. There was brownish residue on the leaves near the buds.I don't know what pests these are and what pesticide I should use. Can anybody help me? [dunno]
by Longy on September 16, 2005 06:01 AM
If you feed your soil, with an organic fertiliser high in potassium and phosporous, such as blood and bone meal with added sulphate of potash, you will get a stronger plant, able to resist insect attack and more blooms on the cannas. Add a permanent water source like a birdbath nearby and you will get organic pest control.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Pesticus on September 18, 2005 11:58 PM
These sound like caterpillars rather than worms. I haven't heard of any worms with spikes on them before. I find that an environmentally friendly plant feed and pesticide combined, sprayed regularly on to plants keeps most bugs at bay. The one I use is SB Plant Invigorator which can be bought on the web at www.sbplantinvigorator.com. Works a treat for me!
by nritya on September 19, 2005 04:33 PM
I guess you are right. As I don't have any pesticide now I just removed the insects and washed out the leaves, I haven't seen any more of them afterwards. I will soon get a suitable pesticide and spray it. Thanks a lot. [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pests| Next thread: pests in compost pile? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: