The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Just wondering.............about strawberry runners

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Just wonderin| Next thread: justing saying clay soil »
Back to Thread index
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 11, 2006 09:46 AM
I have 2 strawberry plants I was just wondering about them since how I am still new at gardening
I have never seen them grow before so I don't know who they are suppose to look or be at this stage one is not doing anything expect getting eaten up by some thing and that ones in a pot strange.

Anyways the other one has 3 runners and they are sprouting more leaves is that normal? And also they keep going how long do runners go? I am only asking because I have been looking them up and they seem to be bushy the plant and then runners. Mine must be doing it's own thing it won't give out strawberries this year I am sure of that since how it hasn't even started to bloom like all the other veggies in my garden.

I was just wondering thats all since how I can not find anything about how long the runners are suppose to get and the leaves thing. I will keep searching maybe I will come across something that will explain it.
Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by 'Sparagus on June 11, 2006 12:41 PM
Hmmm...I dont have much experience because every year Ive planted strawberries, the bunnies ate them!! [Mad]

Im guessing the runners will get as long as it takes them to reach some dirt! Maybe set another small pot of soil under it and see if it takes root. And if it does and starts flourishing, then clip the runner and you have a new separate plant! [thinker]

[flower]
by DeepCreekLake on June 11, 2006 01:47 PM
Your best bet is too clip off those runners, to let its growing energy go into those strawberry plants!
by Deborah L. on June 11, 2006 02:16 PM
'Sparagus, can you do strawberries in hanging pots? That's what I do and it's great. No bugs, slugs, birds or critters can get the strawberries.

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 11, 2006 02:20 PM
DeepCreekLake,

Once I clip off the runners. Can I make other plants from them?

Once the runners are off will they flower or I might as well waite until next year. I took pictures of them on my site.

Theres also strange plant growing i'm not sure what it is.
Thank you,
Nicky

by DeepCreekLake on June 11, 2006 11:17 PM
You can make another plant, by placing a small pot filled with soil (potting soil works) under the end the runner- where the runner has leaves. Let the runner root, then cut it free from the mother plant, and you can plant the new plant where you want it. Runners do take away some energy from the plants- which can yield smaller berries.
by Amigatec on June 13, 2006 01:48 PM
My strawberries have runners going everywhere, they are growing out of the bed. I have June bearing (Ozark Beauty) and it was so warm this year, that they are already done for this year.

Some people use them for ground cover, I can see why, I am going to cut some of mine back.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by foxxyo on June 16, 2006 03:19 AM
I AM NEW I SEE A FEW RUNNERS AND BUSHY GREEN BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT OR IF I'LL EVEN SEE ANYTHING THIS YEAR. I PLANTED MINE IN THE GROUND A FEW MOTHS BACK. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I DO?
by foxxyo on June 16, 2006 03:25 AM
MY 5 YR-OLD WANTED MOMMY TO TRY SOME STRAWBERRIES THIS YR. I SAID OKAY WE'D TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I AM USE TO JUST VEGETABLES. STRING BEANS, TOMATOES, SQUASH ETC... SO I REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP HERE.
by Amigatec on June 16, 2006 04:02 AM
I planted mine last year, and saw just a few berries. This year I picked a lot of berries.

So I would wait until next year to see what happenes, the plants need to get rooted good first.

Also last year, I started with 10 plants and this year the entire bed is covered. I will take some pictures tonight.

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 16, 2006 03:27 PM
Thank you for all your help. I can't wait next year I will be planting about 6 to 10 plants. Along with alot of other things I do not eat, but am going to try for the first time.

Amigatec, I can not waite to see your pic's.

Thank you,
Nicky

by Amigatec on June 17, 2006 02:21 AM
I had another picture but I guess I didn't upload it.

-

Last year this was 10 plants.

-
 -
by cookinmom on June 17, 2006 03:42 AM
Those look really nice!

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Amigatec on June 17, 2006 04:14 AM
I have runners out of the bed and on the ground.

I planted 2 rows of 5 about this time last year,
I raised the bed about 2", worked in some cow manure and sand and buried a soaker hose in it.

I am surprised that they are growing like this.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Just wonderin| Next thread: justing saying clay soil »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: