The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Saw a baby ladybug today!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by 'Sparagus on June 09, 2006 01:27 PM
I didnt get a pic but there is one on this page, scroll down to the ladybug part...

http://www.thebuglady.ca/bugs.htm#lady

Someone mentioned them in another thread on here in the last couple days, but I forget exactly where... [dunno] Probably in an aphid discussion!

Just wanted to share. They are cute little buggers!!!

[flower]
by weezie13 on June 09, 2006 03:16 PM
I had some of those one year when
I first started gardening, and I was like,
Ewwwwwwwwww, I gotta squish that,
but I thought, I better find out first what it was..

I ammmmmmmmmm sooooooooooooooo glad that I DID NOT do that..
I have had many, many seasons where they've been here and I am very glad to have them...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Danno on June 09, 2006 04:20 PM
just outa curiosity can you purchase ladybugs? I dont know of any farm & fleet store that sells them. . .
by mater sandwich on June 09, 2006 04:42 PM
Danno....Yes you can purchase ladybugs. Here is a website that Eclo posted on the organic forum. They sell them along with other predatory insects.

1500 Ladybugs for $5.59 plus S&H

Makes for some interesting reading (That or I am becoming a bug geek) [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by 'Sparagus on June 10, 2006 12:04 AM
Hey thanks for the link Mator! That is a cool site. I got praying mantis egg cases a few years ago and that was the coolest, but it's too late in the season now, I think. I thought you'd have to get the lbugs early spring too, but maybe not!

[flower]
by DeepCreekLake on June 10, 2006 12:38 PM
Lady bugs are almost a nuisance here- theres so many of them, and they like to winter in peoples houses. They also smell when you grab them, but they are beneficial- so dont kill them. They sell traps around here to catch and kill them thats how bad it is ,lol
by 'Sparagus on June 10, 2006 02:21 PM
Oh Id give anything to have ladybugs hibernate in my house. We have STINK bugs over the winter here, and they are ugly, buzz in your ear at night, and smell like do-do! At least the LBs have their looks going for them [grin]

[flower]
by DeepCreekLake on June 11, 2006 12:05 AM
Trust me the lady bugs stink too! the give off an awefull smell! Some places are so full of lady bugs that piles of them get into light fixtures, etc. I dont mind a few of them but too many is too many. I think these are asian Lady Bugs- they still are beneficial. The last few years have seen an increase of them.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: