The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fall Fling Seed Exchange Part II

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2 3
by tkhooper on October 08, 2006 07:40 PM
Part II of the Fall Fling Seed Exchange starting now. Do you think I should cut and paste the rules at the front here?

The deadline for mailing your seeds is October 27th.

The following is from tkhooper:

RULES
1. Please try to put at least 20 seeds per pack.
Send a pack of seeds that you would be happy receiving!
2. Mail your seeds no later than October 27th.
3. Send a wishlist of the seed you would like with the understanding that I'll do my best but can't guarantee that you will get what you hope for.
4. Send a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope) with your seeds. Please make sure you have enough return postage on the envelope.
5. Please limit the maximum number of seed packs per envelope to 100. Multiple mailings are ok!
6. I will do my best to get your seeds to you by Thanksgiving.

The following is from me:
NOTICE! All seed packs will be cataloged.
If you send weed seeds we will be able to track who they came from, and you will be banned from participating in future seed swaps, and your name will be posted in the Seed Exchange forum as a "risk"!

If you'd like to participate in this Swap, please PM Tammy (tkhooper) for her address to mail your seeds.

It seemed like a good idea. That way if there are late comers they can find all the information.

-
 -
by loz on October 08, 2006 09:23 PM
Perfect Tammy. [thumb]
by Triss on October 08, 2006 11:47 PM
Looks good. Checking in here so I can keep on top of things!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by roflol on October 09, 2006 06:54 AM
Is anybody sending in purple hyacinth bean vine seeds?

I read about white being sent in, sounds like they will be rare so I won't ask - will leave to somebody who can reliably "make more".

So wondered about purple (or any other color for that matter), and if I might ask for that in the big swap (I know, TK, I only said a few things, I guess I had one more in me, lol).

[Embarrassed]
by loz on October 09, 2006 07:01 AM
I should have some to harvest in a few days time..... [thumb] But they're pretty common and I'm sure others will be sending them in too. [wavey]
by tkhooper on October 09, 2006 07:20 AM
I've added them to your wish list Roflol. Of course I can't guarentee anything. It depends on what comes in and how many requests there are for them. I will do my best of course.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 09, 2006 08:41 AM
Tammy, did you want us to send you our wish list also? I am keeping mine extremely simple and had planned on sending it with the seeds and my final count of seed packets.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on October 09, 2006 07:47 PM
Hi Sarah,

You can just add your wishlist to your envelope of seeds. But if you forget to put it in there you can pm me your wishlist so I still get it. I was so excited the first year I joined the fall fling I ended up having to send several parcels because I kept on forgetting to put things in the envelope. Like the return envelope, and then I forgot the stamps, and the wishlist. Sometimes I can be really disorganized if I get excited. That's why I'm trying to be very organized from the very beginning with this so that everyone gets a wonderful selection of seeds.

-
 -
by sibyl on October 09, 2006 09:37 PM
just poppin in to see how things are going!
Tammy
how many have joined so far?

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 09, 2006 10:02 PM
It's around the same number of participants Sibyl. How are you doing? Everything comming along ok?

I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put the seeds during my dinner party on Friday lol. I'm sure I'll figure out something right after I manage to find a 4th chair lol.

Sometimes I volunteer for things before I think it through. But it will all be fine.

-
 -
by Bill on October 09, 2006 10:10 PM
if you need any help, holler

-
by tkhooper on October 10, 2006 01:17 AM
Does that mean you'll fly down and cook on friday?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Just kidding.
The seed exchange is going fine. It's the dinner party I'm worried about. I have really limited space and with the seeds spread out finding a place for the dinners took alittle thought. But all is fine. Thursday I'll go to the store for the fresh stuff and Friday we eat.

-
 -
by loz on October 11, 2006 12:07 AM
I should be getting mine ready to send out this week! [thumb] [muggs]
by Rite2u on October 11, 2006 01:05 AM
Well,
I have 70 seed packets ready to mail, Tammy. Various sunflower varieties...If anyone is curious about what my sunflowers look like, I have posted pictures over the last several months on Michael's sunflower garden (A sunflower garden) topic.
I'll probably go by the post office in the morning on my way in to work...I will try not to forget to inclue the return postage or my wish list. smile...
Rite

The Write Stuff
by tkhooper on October 11, 2006 01:31 AM
Outstanding you are all doing wonderful.

Comfrey, you get kudos for the first package of seeds to arrive. I counted 31 packets too so we are off to a good start. Thankyou for your participation and such great seeds.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on October 11, 2006 02:34 AM
You have mail Tammy!!

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on October 11, 2006 04:00 AM
Now you have mail Penny lol.

-
 -
by tcmers on October 11, 2006 08:19 AM
ok...You've reeled me in. lol! I'll PM you. (My computer crashed and I lost alllll my addresses. [Frown] )
by tkhooper on October 11, 2006 11:07 AM
Welcome to the Fall Fling. I'm so glad you are joining.

-
 -
by Kratz7 on October 11, 2006 06:26 PM
I will be sending out my seed packets today TK.....there will be at least 75 packets...I wish all my seeds were ready....lol
I will still have moon flowers coming in...(just checked a pod on Tuesday, the seeds are still white inside....I think they need to turn more brownish. come on mother nature....lol
 - I should be cleaning the house, but gardening is much more fun

Kratz7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by tkhooper on October 11, 2006 08:03 PM
Thankyou Charlie for getting your seeds in so soon. If the other seeds do ripen before the 27th multiple mailings are ok.

I know exactly what you mean about doing gardening chores rather than cleaning the house. I do the same thing.

Thankyou so much for joining the Fall Fling. Have a great day.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on October 11, 2006 09:11 PM
Thanks for answering my question Tammy!!

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on October 12, 2006 01:04 AM
Your very welcome Penny.

I've been out checking the social services crepe myrtle today since I had to go there anyway. And I got a bunch of seed pods. Hopefully some of them will still have seeds in them. They are hard for me to tell if they are open or not. Probably because I won't ware my glasses like I should.

Anyway there may just be enough for a package.

-
 -
by loz on October 13, 2006 07:17 AM
Not too late to join if anyone else is interested....if so send a PM to Tammy. [thumb]
by kennyso on October 13, 2006 07:29 AM
C'mon guys, it's fun! More people the merrier!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by njoynit on October 13, 2006 11:36 AM
Do we know how many we are?

I've been readying mine.I think I'll just send mine in a box.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by sibyl on October 13, 2006 12:28 PM
ill be sending mine out this weekend! still no love-lies-bleeding, but i do have till the 27th, [flower] ill have to send another one any way cause i got carried away and packaged up too many seed packets! [Big Grin] cant help it, feels like christmas! [grin]

-
 -
by sibyl on October 14, 2006 02:24 AM
think anyone would want yacca seeds?

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 14, 2006 07:10 AM
You can send in yucca seeds. I like them. We have around 25 members currently signed in. And you are right it is like christmas. Hope you are all enjoying it as much as I am.

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 14, 2006 07:18 PM
Hi Kratz7 your seeds arrived today. Sorry it's taken so long for me to get on the web today. I managed to stay busy all day lol. And then I forgot to send this until today. I guess I was alittle off yesterday. I get like that when I get tired.

I counted 80 seed packets. Thankyou so much for getting your seeds in so early. That always helps.

-
 -
by loz on October 15, 2006 01:40 AM
I just harvested some morning glory seeds so I'm gonna package them up and get mine sent out monday....I was waiting in hopes of getting purple hyacinth vine but the freeze took mine all out. [Razz]
by kennyso on October 15, 2006 07:54 AM
Don't you just hate when that happens? You're expecting to collect those pods an dall of a sudden bam, the frost kills everything. Happened to me too, but not with hyacinth beans, with sunset runner beans, and I was going to send Tammy another packet with more seeds too :frustrated:

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by loz on October 15, 2006 08:06 AM
It is VERY frustrating, they weren't quite ready to harvest and I thought they'd pull through okay but they were all shriveled up and ruined. [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]
by angelblossom on October 15, 2006 08:32 AM
Hey Loz Or Triss Or anyone that knows [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [lala] [Big Grin]

What is the name of the flower that after is drys up the kids have fun making them "POP"
It's one I'd like on my seed wish list!!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by loz on October 15, 2006 09:47 AM
Balsam, also called touch me nots? Is that what you are thinking of? The seed pots explode when you touch them.....I'm sending in some packs of pink/purple ones. [thumb]
by angelblossom on October 15, 2006 11:02 AM
YESSS!!! That's it!! Thanks Loz!! [kissies] [thumb] [flower]

-
 -
by loz on October 15, 2006 11:14 AM
[thumb] I like them, once you plant them you'll have them pretty much forever even though they are an annual, it's all those seeds they drop.
by angelblossom on October 15, 2006 11:16 AM
[thumb] Kewl!!

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 15, 2006 08:33 PM
!!!!WARNING!!!

Please make sure that you have secured the packets so the seeds cannot escape. I currently have a little pile of seeds that have escaped from several different packets. So if you receive a packet without 20 seeds in it let me know and I'll try to get you a make up packet. It may not be the same kind of seed but I'll try to make sure it is something nice.

-
 -
by sibyl on October 16, 2006 09:09 AM
went out side today and about all of my flowers got frozed! even the ones i coverd up didnt look so good, [Eek!] i was hopein to send more in,

-
 -
by sibyl on October 16, 2006 09:14 AM
Tammy,
you could toss those loose seeds in a packet and wright surprize seed pack on it!
i like surprizes [Wink]

-
 -
by angelblossom on October 16, 2006 09:39 AM
I harvested Jewel of opar seeds today WOW SOOO many come from such a small seed pod it's the size of a "bb" and filled with tiny black seeds, I started this in the Spring (from TK) [thumb] and it has given me many many seeds! they will be sent with my other seeds.

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 16, 2006 06:57 PM
the petunias are really fine seeds too. I find that if I put them in a folded bit of wax paper inside my seed packet they are easier to get out when I want to plant them.

Hey Sybil, I'm sorry that all your flowers froze. I keep thinking when I walk outside that I will find all of the lettuce frozen but so far so good.

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 16, 2006 10:45 PM
Here postman, here postman...I am so ready for more seeds. I'm enjoying seeing what everyone sent in. I feel like I'm right in the middle of Santa's Workshop. I am so loving this.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on October 16, 2006 11:03 PM
My seeds are being mailed this week and i believe i have 30 packs with your name on it Tammy!!!!

-
 -

-
by LandOfOz on October 17, 2006 12:06 AM
I'm going to get my seeds mailed out this week also. Unfortunately, I can't put in any obedient plant seeds because it has been misting for 2 days and is supposed to keep it up all week. If, by some miracle, I am able to harvest and dry them in time, I'll just send them in later. I'm so excited!! Thanks again, Tammy!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by loz on October 17, 2006 01:03 AM
Tammy, I swear I'm getting old. I went down to the post office to get a flat rate box to stick my seeds and the return envelope in....I have my envelope pre-labeled, seeds ready to go and everything.

I then realized I didn't have your address with me! [Big Grin] [Frown] [Big Grin] I felt like such an idiot.

Sooooooo, since my car still isn't running mom is taking me back down to the PO tomorrow. [thumb]
by penny in ontario on October 17, 2006 01:17 AM
Thanks Loz!!!!!! I totally forgot about the return envelope [kissies] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by loz on October 17, 2006 01:28 AM
[Big Grin] Ha ha ha, my forgetfulness actually helped--that's funny. [Big Grin]

I was going to send mine in an envelope with one inside, but there isn't room for another one inside so I'm gonna have to do a box. [thumb]
by tkhooper on October 17, 2006 02:04 AM
Hey tcmers, your seeds arrived today. Marvelous selection of seeds. These are great seeds. I counted 106 seed packets.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: