The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

saw flies or cutworms??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by calicomom on September 09, 2005 09:56 AM
I didnt get a reply to my question about what the little black worms were so did some research and think they are either saw flies or cutworms? There are about 50 of them, all at the base of my pansies. Now does anybody have an idea?
by melcon6 on September 09, 2005 10:38 AM
Are they in the ground or on the leaves? My experiences with cutworms is they are always in the ground and they eat the plant base only at night and usually on plants just starting out. I'll have to look up saw flies , 'cause I've had little black worms on the leaves of my cherry tree. They are squishy like a slug and they eat the leaves.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by calicomom on September 09, 2005 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. They are lying on top of the ground and a few were eating on the stems. I know cut worms usually cut the plant base off, but they curl up like a cutworm, but maybe other worms do that too (curl up). If you find out, please let me know what to use to get rid of them; prefer to not use chemicals. Oh, and when I squish them there is a greenish substance, yuk!!!
by Pesticus on September 19, 2005 02:39 AM
Doesn't sound like sawfly larvae as they usually infest the foliar regions. Any chance of posting a picture? If not, you could always use one of the online 'ask the expert' services. There's one on this website that I've used before www.just-green.com

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: