The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

celery rooting ......

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Celery| Next thread: Celosia »
Back to Thread index
by dodge on June 08, 2006 02:13 PM
Did you know you can root the celery after your done with the tops?

i do .........i set it in a plate of water till it sprouts.. Then plant it outside and just eat it off as I need it.. Celery continues to grow..Look at it when you use it.. Ours does in the center......

Love it.

dodge
aka b

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by 'Sparagus on June 09, 2006 12:31 PM
Wow, that's cool! Come to think of it, the bottom usually has some roots. I have a soggy bunch in the fridge that was bound for the compost, but maybe Ill try that first!

[flower]
by dodge on June 09, 2006 12:41 PM
Sparagus........

You wont be sorry ......
You can pick the celery off the plant while it is in the ground and use it.. No need to pull out the plant .....Let grow , let grow, let grow.

tastes so good fresh. [muggs]

dodge

-
 -
by elkwc36 on June 09, 2006 04:13 PM
Dodge thanks for the information. I started mine from seed this year as I can't buy any at the nurseries around here. Will give that a try. JD
by dodge on June 10, 2006 01:25 AM
elkwe

Where did you get your celery seed?

thanks

dodge

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on June 10, 2006 03:22 AM
I have the Farmer's Almanac calendar this year, and I think April featured growing celery. Made it seem pretty tricky, from seeds especially......which makes me want to try it next year! [perplexed]

[flower]
by dodge on June 10, 2006 04:58 AM
Let me know if they mature>. DOnt know for sure if our season is long enough for the seed..
I will check that out.

Thanks

dodge

-
 -
by elkwc36 on June 10, 2006 07:13 AM
Dodge I bought them from Reimer Seeds. I also bought some of my tomato seeds there. I started them inside with the tomato seeds. Believe they are going to make it but will start them earlier next year and put them under lights. I was able to buy small plants at a nursery in Amarillo,TX for several years but they no longer handle celery. I will keep you informed but for now they are really growing. JD
by Deborah L. on June 10, 2006 07:16 AM
What???? I was super interested in these posts.
You mean, you can use the celery we get at the grocery store to make a whole new plant?
So what should I do? Buy some celery, use it, and plant the bottom part?

-
 -
by dodge on June 10, 2006 09:04 AM
elkwe,

Thanks I will check that out.

Some nurserys here used to do them, no more.. I like that.. Love celery......

Do you tie yours up to blanch or are they self blanching/

Thanks

Dodge

-
 -
by dodge on June 10, 2006 09:07 AM
DeborahL

Just take the bottom part and put it into a bowl of water, till it gets roots......Then plant it in soil..

Yes it is the one in the grocery store.

Worked for me .

[wavey]
dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 10, 2006 09:19 AM
Wow ! What made you think to do this?
I'll get celery tomorrow and cut the stalks, soak the root and get on it right away ! How fun !
Thanks, Dodge !

-
 -
by dodge on June 10, 2006 11:45 AM
DeborahL.

It just came to me .. I tried and it worked.. Not all veggies will do that.. They claim to spray them not to sprout......(WHo knows)

YOur welcome and enjoy your crops.

barb

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 10, 2006 12:13 PM
I'll post when the celery roots, and will get some tomorrow. What fun !

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on June 10, 2006 12:22 PM
quote:
They claim to spray them not to sprout
Like pineapples they chop into the top leaves so you cant propagate them!

BTW my future celery sprout is sitting on the window sill next to a future pineapple sprout!

[flower]
by dodge on June 10, 2006 12:37 PM
sparagus

some one in our area did grow a pineapple . Did you ever do pineapple before/

Not I

dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 10, 2006 01:05 PM
Dodge, I just thought of something. When you plant the celery bottom, or base or whatever it's called, do you get celery stalks or just leaves?

-
 -
by dodge on June 10, 2006 01:14 PM
Deb

When you plant the rooted celery base, the leaves pop up first and the stalk is right behind it........Just like in the store.
If you take a look at a bunch which you buy. The middle of it has fresh young stock and leaves in the very centers.....They are still growing. Thay is why they are younger in the middle.

Check it out.........

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 10, 2006 01:19 PM
OK ! I can't wait ! [Wink]

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on June 10, 2006 02:28 PM
Dodge, I do have a pineapple plant I started from a top, it's gotta be pushing 3 years old now! I havent gotten it to bloom yet, but there are plenty of instructions on how, Im sure right on the Garden Helper! It's a huge houseplant compared to the mini pineapple it came from.

Funny they would think to alter them to keep people from growing them, and the same with celery. Would us crazy gardening folks really hurt the market that much?? [Big Grin]

[flower]
by dodge on June 10, 2006 02:43 PM
sparagus

This fellow had a photo in the paper, of the plant and pineapple on it.. Forgot how long it took, but he had it in a sun porch, lots of sun.

I have too many inside plants and not enough windows.. ha ha

i used my one bed room upstairs for a plant room this winter.. Oh my was I glad to see spring.. i started flowerseeds and tomatoes an peppers there.
Bought a heating cable to help..

dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 10, 2006 02:46 PM
Hey, I wonder if in California the celery thing would be a perennial?
Out here artichokes are perennials.

-
 -
by dodge on June 11, 2006 12:41 AM
Deborah,
I doubt that.. Cause they pick the whole root when they harvest it ......

b

-
 -
by dodge on June 11, 2006 01:12 AM
Sparagus

Never know what we might discover on here.

[nutz]
This is more fun than reading books...Ever read Jerry Bakers gardening books??

DDDDDDDDDDDddddaaaaaa

dodge

-
 -
by elkwc36 on June 11, 2006 02:35 AM
Dodge I planted one self blanching type and one non. And not sure which ones survived. Will document them like I do my tomato plants in the future. I have never tied them up. The way I do it is I just go out and break off the outer stalks as I need some for my use. I do put mulch up around them. I use it in some of my salsa's and other canning. And the new stalks just keep coming from the inside. I did have one on the north protected side of my house in a flower bed that made it through a mild winter. But that only happened once.
by dodge on June 11, 2006 03:08 AM
elkwe

Your doing it correctly.. Congradulations.

That is the way I do it also.. The youngies are soooooooooooo good. Crunchy.

I put celery in chicken soup,fish cakes,soups, roasts,jello.....many dishes,

I am baking raisan oatmeal cookies right now.. ha ha

dodge

b

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 11, 2006 04:00 AM
Dodge, which one has the whole root picked?
I meant that the celery thing might turn out to be perennial here because other plants you wouldn't think are perennials can live for years.
Like artichokes and parsley. Parsley, sheesh, how do you kill it???? It's downright invasive.

-
 -
by dodge on June 11, 2006 04:30 AM
Deb,

Ok

Never lived there, I am on the east end of the usa....See we have winter..
Now to kill celery......Try Roundup spray?//

Do you have a little bit of land there? I have another friend who lives across from ROnald Reagans buril Library.. She only has a tiny plot, and the alley for everyone, is where they throw seeds......I will have to ask her, after she comes from vacation.

Thanks

dodge

-
 -
by elkwc36 on June 11, 2006 05:00 AM
Dodge yes just like other garden produce better than you buy in the store. The one thing I've learned here is it does well in the sun but gets stronger in flavor if you do. But that that I have put in part time shade as was recommended didn't do as well. I have tried a few other forums and I enjoy this one the most. Everyone is so helpful amd friendly and don't run down or tell others how they are doing everything wrong. I've gardened for probably close to 50 years and know what works for me but also still trying to learn. And what works in one soil and climate won't work in others. Several say not to plant corn next to tomatoes. But learned this from the Amish and it works very well here in this area for me. Gives them some shade and a windbreak. Hope your gardening weekend goes great. Still nuturing the last plants that I had shipped that spent 6 days travelling in the heat. Three are doing great. The other three are not perking up yet. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks JD
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 05:16 AM
JD, I sent you a pm at Tville.
You mean tomato plants you were shipped? Are they wilty, or what? Are you hardening them off?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by dodge on June 11, 2006 06:47 AM
elkw,

Yep this forum is the Best in west and the east..Ha ha

never heard the tale of corn and tomatoes.. But I dont like tomatoes and potatoes together.. Those bugs do get on the tomato.
If you got tomato plants in the mail, you should of soaked them in water before planting. Like 24 hours......

However your a good gardner, why didnt you start tomato from seeds? I always do.. I also have some growing inside all winter....I probably have that many years under my belt also.. But last few years online is making a Great difference.....Thanks to the many helpers on here..
Bless of you ......Here..

[Love] dodge

-
 -
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 07:03 AM
Dodge, I'll be growing some indoors this winter. What are the varieties that work for you?

-
Dave
by elkwc36 on June 11, 2006 07:05 AM
Dodge and Peppereater. I did start many inside. Over a 100. This was one of those last second things on two varieties I wanted to try and saw them online. Brandyboy and Big Mama. I haven't transplanted them yet. I followed the instructions they sent. Water, cool and no direct sunlight for 48 hours. The Brandyboy's looked as bad as the Mama's on arrival but have really came out of it. The others are droopy. Of course both had dead leaves upon arrival and I removed them. I had the Brandyboys out for awhile this morning. Starting to harden them off. Gave the others some early morning sunlight before the heat but brought them in early. I just transplanted one to a big cup and watered it with my transplant solution. If that helps will do the other two. Think the heat about cooked them not sure why the boys are doing so much better. Maybe more vigor. Won't give up till they perk up or die. Was just checking to see if someone had a solution as this is only like the third time I've had plants shipped. Thanks JD
by dodge on June 11, 2006 07:40 AM
elkie,

Over 100.....plants?

What are you ? friendly super market?

Not all tomatoes respond to transplant at the same rate.....Yep sun cold and shock , will do it..Depends how they mailed them.. To what shape they are in.

DOnt give up......Any ways you can pinch off a stem of the tomato and put it into water and it will root and produce .. Try one.

[clappy] [clappy] dodge

-
 -
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 08:02 AM
I've always wondered how they ship live plants. I'd be tempted to call Burpee and tell a little white lie, get some shipped again and hopefully get them in less than 6 days shipping time. That's ridiculous.
My guess is that if they're not discoloring, they'll snap out of it. I'd be tempted to get them the brightest light possible without being in direct sun. I know what Longy would say here..."seaweed extract!" [Big Grin]
Good luck with 'em. Let us know how it goes.

-
Dave
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 08:09 AM
BTW, Dodge, I started over 100 plants this year, too! [grin] I tend to start 6 of each variety I want in case germination is poor...which is actually rare. Then I try to plant at least 3 of each variety. I have at least 35 planted, and have given away a dozen or more plants. If I'd had more time, I would have more than that planted! [nutz] [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by dodge on June 11, 2006 08:16 AM
Peppereater..

I plant usually 40, not 100......thats lots of tomatoes....Unless your yeild isnt good on all.

dodge

-
 -
by dodge on June 11, 2006 08:18 AM
Hey......Burpee has guarentee so use it .

You have nothing to loose.. They are shipping late I think.

dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 11, 2006 08:43 AM
Dodge, I looked at the celery this morning in the store, but the root bottom was cut off so close there was no root at all, just the clean surface and then the stalks.
I was disappointed and didn't buy any because I don't think it would root from that flat circle.
I mean they must have sliced deep to get it like that.
Dang git ! [Mad]
I'll keep checking for some with a bigger bottom that's not sliced completely off.

-
 -
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 08:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
Peppereater..

I plant usually 40, not 100......thats lots of tomatoes....Unless your yeild isnt good on all.

dodge

Dodge...40 is a lot! [tongue]
If you only knew how many disasters I've had in our harsh environment, you'd understand. Last year I had good production until about August, with only about 20 plants. I like to have lots to give away, and I like to try new varieties. At some point I'd like to begin selling produce, too, so I'm trying to learn how to get huge yields. And, it's just plain fun!
I'm also planning to look into marketing salsa and other "value added" products some day. [thumb] [grin]

-
Dave
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 08:49 AM
Deborah, I'm thinking it still might root. I say give it a try! [clappy]

-
Dave
by elkwc36 on June 11, 2006 09:21 AM
Deborah I'm trying one I had on hand that is like you said. Will let you know in a few days.

Dodge I give lots away. Plants and tomatoes both. I will only have about 64 in the ground. I could sell all the tomatoes and salsa I had tomatoes for. But just do it as time allows and give the rest away. I'm like Peppereater hoping to sell in the future and so trying lots of varieties. That is why I bought these. I get good production out of some and haven't had as much luck with most heirlooms but still searching. The best big heirloom for me so far has been Caspian Pink.

Peppereater. I had the same thought on the light. Some leaves are changing colors with some yellow in them. Had a little on the Brandyboys but they are clearing up and looking great. Yes I can always contact Burpee about the guarantee. I would just as soon save the plants if possible.
Thanks to everyone for the help. May look for the seaweed extract. Not sure anyone around here carries it. We are in a real rural area.
by dodge on June 11, 2006 09:38 AM
elkie

I am rural i live on a small farm..

Now i can my tomatoes.....stewed and we love them and use them all year round.. Soup and pigs in the blanket, blend them and make more soup.. Just irristable little things.

We cant sell here, everyone grows a garden .

good luck you and peppere.

barb
dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 11, 2006 04:52 PM
Dodge, a tomato plant that bears will come from a slip rooting in water?????
I've never heard that !!! Wow, am I learning alot in this forum ! This is exciting, and I'm gonna try it !
I was so surprised to learn from another post that you can plant a broken off stem and it will root. And now this ! Awesome !
[grin]

-
 -
by dodge on June 12, 2006 03:03 AM
Stay with us ......
More excitement to comee........... [clappy] [clappy]

dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 12, 2006 02:30 PM
LOL ! [Big Grin]